Hailing Cove ~ Ch: 1

Song to listen to while reading: "Alive" by Audrey Mika

**************

Hailing Cove, or Cove for short, was one of those boring old timey towns known for it's rich history and apparent lack of entertainment. With the legendary white picket fences and well kept gardens. It was a quaint coustal town.

Which is why the news of Abigail Winters disappearance had been the current topic on everyones lips for almost a decade. Of course her popularity at Grove Hills High School had also helped fuel the rumours.

..............

Penelope Harper pondered the email she'd received as she stared blankly at the computer screen. It had now been nine years since she'd seen Abbie last. With bold, dark letters on a red background the email read "candle vigil for anniversary of Abigail Winters disappearance". More like another attempt by the mayor at furthering the towns attraction to tourists, Penelope thought.

She hadn't wondered about that night for so long, but with the anniversary coming up the memories had begun floating to the surface. She wasn't the only one affected by this tragedy, Abbie had been presumed dead and the circumstances regarding her vanishing into thin air had plagued the four girls, closest to her, who still remained. People from all over had contacted them asking all sorts of questions.

The first few years had been the worst.

Every conspiracy theory they had recieved depicting what might have happened, involving the girls, had chipped away at what was left of their friendship after Abbie and now they weren't even on speaking terms. Penelope had hoped for a reunion in the near future, but how could they ever trust each other again. Any one of them, though highly unlikely she thought, could have been involved in Abigails disappearance. She didn't think so, she never had. But at the same time none of them could rule it out.

She was still hoping she'd see them tonight though, at the vigil. Wishful thinking for sure.

She closed the laptop when she realized she was beyond late. The vigil was supposed to start at 8 pm, if she hurried she could make it there by 8:10. She quickly put on some makeup and sprinted to her car, knocking over a picture frame in the process.

----

Once she had parked her car she was about to open the car door when she saw them. Three familiar girls standing closest to the speaker, each holding a candle with the rest of the group who'd showed up to the vigil. They hadn't changed that much since she'd last seen them. Could it have been five years...?

Malia with her heart shaped face and doe eyes, smiling as she looked up towards the parking lot at Penelope's car. Clearly recognising it.

Stacy however was leaning against a park bench as she watched the lanterns fly up into the summer night, unaware as ever as the candle she was holding was dripping stearic onto the grass. She was clearly lost in thought. Penelope couldn't help but chuckle despite the sad setting.

Emma was standing a few feet away from the group and was very hesitant to approach either of her former close friends, Penelope could tell, Em had always been shy. But after everything she couldn't blame her for being nervous about seeing them again after such a long time.

Penelope sent a kind smile back at Malia, she'd missed them all. Even though she'd never admit it.

She opened the car door and walked towards the group huddled underneath the night, the sky riddled with stars. The lanterns they'd sent up got smaller as the distance between them and the ground grew. It was a tradition they'd followed ever since they'd lost Abbie. It had been Emma's idea originally. "To light her way home" Em had said..
Tragic to think Abbie might have never gotten to see the lanterns.

-Hey, Pen. I didn't know you were back in town? Malia said nervously, pulling Penelope from her thoughts.

-Yeah, I finished my residency last week. Figured I'd come back home for a while.

-Oh, I see, well not much has changed since High School, other than the fact that we're all "Old" now. Malia said, desperately trying to lift the tension between them as they stopped in front of the small group.

-Yeah, well not all of us got to grow up. Emma chimed in.

Penelope hadn't noticed her approaching.

-True. Malia answered guilt ridden.

-Well, isn't this depressing. Stacy said loud enough for the other vigil attendees around them to hear.

-Wow Stace, I see you still carry on with your sense for unbridled subtlety. Penelope said, a smile tugging at the corner of her lips.

-Oh come on, it's been like what, ten years? Abbie would't want us to sulk anyway. Stacy said with a shy smile.

-I can just picture her coming down the hall in those iconic chanel sunnies and a pair of red 9 inch Valentino's. Malia said with a sad smile, dragging them all back to their past memories of that time.

-Yeah, Emma said quietly.

The speaker, Abigails brother, had now stopped his ramblings about what impact Abigails disappearance had on this town and the group quited down.

It was a beautiful night. Starry and epic, just how Abbie would have liked to be remembered. The epic part. She would have loved that.

-Do you think she's still out there? Do you still have hope? Malia asked, bringing up the question which everyone had been dreading.

-Honestly Mal, I don't... Penelope started but was cut off by the now deafening sound of her phone chiming. People turned their head in annoyance toward Penelope as the phone had interrupted the silence. She scrambled in her pocket for the phone, trying to turn it off before another notification arrived. But just as she fished the phone out she noticed something peculiar, sending a shiver down her spine.

She looked at the screen, eyes widening. She'd gotten a lot of texts and calls over the years regarding Abbie, but none had mentioned a secret so dirty she'd only ever told one other living soul. And that soul had been Abigail.

The text read:

"Long time no see Pen, hope ur still keeping your kleptomania in check, cause would mommy really forgive having a thief in the family?

You were always my favourite. Want to make a deal?

-A"

Holy shit.