The Harpers ~ Ch: 2

Penelope Harper, inspired by Spencer Hastings who was created by Sara Shepard.

************

Penelope froze to the spot.

What the hell was this? How could anyone have found out?

There wasn't a single record since she'd never been caught stealing, but Penelope knew she had a problem. It had started in her early years. She didn't know exactly what had prompted her to start shoplifting but after the first rush of adrenalin and serotonin she was hooked. It was unusual since her parents basically had the means to buy her whatever she wanted as they both were successful surgeons, admired in their respective fields. But something about the stealing itself had drawn her in. Either way, she hadn't done it for a long time now.

Penelope was a Harper, and being a Harper came with a legacy including both responsibilities and privilege. She couldn't complain, being a Harper came with immense perks in her hometown. The Harpers, her family, had founded the town and had been in Cove since like the dawn of time.

-Hey, Pen, are you okay? Malia asked hesitantly with a worried expression.

Penelope hadn't even noticed what was going on around her, the text she'd received had paralysed her and she didn't know what to say or do.

-Yes. Just knowing that it's been ten years since Abbie disappeared is insane.. Penelope blurted out.

-I agree. I can't believe we still have zero answers. Emma said.

Penelope knew she should have told them the true reason for her sudden reaction, but opening herself up to her ex friends wasn't especially appealing.

There was probably a simple and logical explanation to all of this, Abbie must have told someone before everything went down.

Damn her, even from the grave she's still messing with her. Cause let's be honest much less than 1 % of people who went missing, and were gone for a decade, were still alive. As if dealing with her family's drama wasn't enough, now she had to deal with her secret being in the wind.

Abigail and Penelope didn't have a typical friendship, looking back at it frenemies was probably a better name for their friendship. Penelope was the only one brave enough to stand up to and challenge Abigails leadership of the group, and with that came a certain tension between them. To be blunt, deep down, Penelope suspected that Abigail probably feared her.

......

-So.. look, it was good seeing you all again but I think I'm going to head home now. It's almost 10 now and I got an early shift at the salon tomorrow so.. Stacy trailed off.

-Salon? You work at the local salon, Baileys? Penelope asked surprised.

Baileys was the local, well established, beauty salon they'd all gone to for pampering back when Abbie was still around.

-Yeah, actually it's mine now. I bought it like two years ago, I run it and all. Stacy stated proudly.

-Wow, congratulations.

-Yeah, thanks. Anyway, see you guys soon I hope. Stacy said, about to leave.

-Hey, wait. Stace, Why don't I make a group chat and that way we can all keep in contact. Malia said hindering Stacys escape.

A sudden silence fell between them.

-I don't know... Emma said quietly.

Eh what the hell, Penelope thought.

-Yeah, that's a good idea. Here's my handle. Penelope said showing Malia her phone, desperate to break the tension.

- Oh thanks! Malia answered with a nervous laugh.

Stacy threw Malia a smile.

-Sure. See you guys.. Stacy said before turning her heel to walk towards the parking lot, burnt out candle in hand.

-Yeah I think I need to get home too. Emma said suddenly after an awkward silence between the three girls left.

-Me too. Malia said following as the rest of the vigil attendees started moving towards the parking lot.

You coming? She asked with a smile.

-You know what, I think I'll stay a while, It's been a long time since I've been here. Penelope said looking out onto what was left of Abigails vigil.

-Okay, well I'll see you around then I guess. Malia said hastily before turning and running after Emma.

-Yeah sure.

Penelope glanced over at Abigails brother still picking up flyers for the vigil which had been dumped all around the park. She decided to approach him.

-Hey, Gabe!

-Hey, Pen! His eyes darting towards her with surprise.

-Didn't know if you were going to come or not. Seeing how busy you are... He said, failing miserably to hide the bitter tone.

-Well, she was one of my best friends you know. That should still count for something I think. Penelope said a bit irritated.

She started to help with the clean up. She hadn't really talked to Gabriel since everything went down with Abbie. Honestly she had intentionally lost contact with everyone involved in the Abbie universe. It was just too hard. To much emotional turmoil, or at least more than she could handle.

-Did Abbie say something to you about me before she went missing?

She couldn't help herself, she wouldn't put it past him to hold her secret over her head and being the sender of that text. Gabriel had always been similar to Abigail, collecting secrets like trophies.

-Uh, not really.. Gabe answered as he leaned down to pick up another flyer.

-Well I was just wondering you know, Abigail was just so secretive..

Not a nice save, she thought.

-Yeah well I was probably the last person she would have told anything to. She didn't really trust anyone I think. Gabe continued.

-Yeah, that's probably true... Penelope trailed off.

-Hey, I think I'm going to head home. Do you need any help or anything with what's left? Penelope asked, eager to leave after another prolonged silence.

-Not really.. He answered.

-I'll see you around then. She said, determined to leave.

-Yeah sure.. Gabe answered back quietly. But Penelope had already started towards her car.

Penelope closed the car door behind her and immediately fished out her phone from her pocket. The text message stared intently back at her when she unlocked the screen.

"you were always my favorite" was something Abbie used to say to Penelope when they'd had one of their usual cat-fights. She always thought it was a weird thing for Abbie to say after they'd just tried to murder each other, but she'd welcomed it as an apology meant to try to stifle her anger.

And then the next sentence in the text.

"Want to make a deal?"

What deal?? She wondered.

She couldn't help but think that "-A" really stood for Abigail. Even though it was utterly crazy. Abbie was gone, surely dead. It couldn't be her.

Could it..?

No it could not. Penelope decided to grasp onto her logic like usual and decided to send a reply.

"Who is this?"

She waited eagerly for a reply, but nothing came. She grabbed the wheel and was about to start the car when her phone pinged. She picked up the phone and disappointment surged through her. It was only Malia, following through on the group chat.

She threw the phone in the back seat and drove home.