Chapter 9

I was convinced I was done falling for Edward's charm. During Biology class he had apologised to me himself. He promised he'd never do it again, never follow me, never watch me. He addressed what I told Rosalie, and offered to take me to Carlisle to try and find answers. I declined. I didn't accept his apology, and I didn't want to spend more time with him than I had to.

"I wasn't even going to stay, but I heard you talking in your sleep. You said my name." He told me, looking at me with what appeared to be a genuinely apologetic look.

"I don't talk in my sleep." I said in disdain.

"That's not what's important, I suppose. I... understand now that I shouldn't have been there in the first place. I simply couldn't help but worry for you. I wanted to protect you. I swear to you, I will never do anything like that again."

"I am capable of looking after myself. I don't need you to protect me. Anyway, are you really denying there wasn't any selfish intent to watch me while I was asleep? Get out of here with that." I shook my head.

"I know you're a capable, strong, intelligent woman. I understand if you won't forgive me. Although, I hope one day you can. I will leave you alone now, Jeanette."

"Good."

For a long time I didn't talk to Edward unless it was a necessity to do so in class. I refused to look at him. I was stubborn. But, he respected that. He was polite, he stopped asking questions about my life. He only spoke to me when it was related to schoolwork. We distanced ourselves from each other. Worked out for me. I was safer the farther away I was from the Vampire.

I told Mia a watered down version of the story, carefully constructed to leave out the supernatural elements, yet still have the general idea.

"What a creep!" Mia shook her head as she took a drag of her cigarette. We stood at the door behind the diner, the stink of trash lingered in the air, mixed with the unappealing aroma of the fried food that wafted from the back door that was propped open with a rock. The ground was wet, but the clouds were a non-threatening light grey, unable to produce more than a drizzle. "I can't believe he would follow you. At least he got the message when you confronted him. Let me know if you still have issues with him, though. I can fuck him up, and I will."

"Thanks," I chuckled, leaning against the wall. "But I'm certain that's unnecessary. I really got the message to him. He's seemed really respectful since then."

"You know what you need, Bells? I think we should get out of town for a little bit." Mia suggested.

"I think I need a cigarette." I joked. Mia gasped dramatically, hiding her cigarette behind her back.

"And ruin your gorgeous voice? No, no, no. Stick to the grass, honey." She told me. She was right, it wasn't really my body to ruin anyways.

"Alright, but in all seriousness. What were you thinking? I'm a little broke... I'm saving for College. I'm not sure either of us could afford to go anywhere fancy." I told her sceptically. Thankfully, Bella had already started a savings account in Arizona. In my own universe, I had to pay for College entirely on my own. I was expecting to have to do that here as well. My family didn't have a lot of money, especially after my mother had passed. I often wished I had started saving earlier, before I had bills to pay. I was hopeful though, my future was close enough to this Universe's, and I could invest in the right things. Give money, get more back. Mia took another drag of her cigarette.

"Don't worry B, I know how to get around cheap. We don't have to go far. Just one night. I know the owner of a bed and breakfast by the beach, I could get us a room for really cheap. A girl's trip, just the two of us, breakfast covered in the cost." She proposed.