Rotten Roses

roses are red, violets are blue, i love you, jhon, do you love me too?

jhon, my best friend. your name is masculine, yet the most beautiful girl i’ve ever seen. the time runs fast when i am with you, and every second is as worthy as diamonds. do you remember those red roses we plucked from the vast garden of flowers? the calm flow of water in the river? and all the memories we’ve been together? those red roses were as red as your lips, and my heart is as calm as that calm river when i am with you. you’re as sweet as honey, and your voice is as pleasing to the ears as a lullaby. you’re as cute as a baby, and as pretty as a fairy. can you be my baby? you scintillate like a star, and like nature, you’re beautiful.

one of the most memorable days of my life is the valentine’s day. i slowly walked towards you without noticing me as I held a bouquet of red roses. you suddenly turned around and looked at me. i hugged you and asked, “i love you, jhon, do you love me too?”

“of course, we’re best friends.”

“no, that’s not what i mean,” i replied.

you smiled genuinely at me and uttered softly, “i’m sorry, the feelings aren’t mutual.”

we were friends for a long time. you’re sweet and you truly care about me, but you can’t love me more than friends. you made me realize that even though a person cares about you doesn’t already mean she loves you beyond a love for a friend. since that moment, you gradually became as cold as ice, and disappeared like bubbles. i kept the bouquet of red roses in my room until it got rotten like the friendship that we’ve had.

before i forget, that day isn’t memorable, but painful.