Home Sweet Home

***If something is culturally inaccurate, just remember I don't actually live in Belgium or Europe in general. So if it is, feel free to correct me and I'll fix it :)***

Rough draft #1:

Once upon a time, I was a normal, anxiety-filled tween named Conan, entering the world of secondary school. Delightful.

Life is boring when you have parents who are driven to make you inherit their company. It's like, your future is laid out in front of you and if you change it, things will never be the same.

My mother came from a wealthy family, my father came from a wealthy family and in turn, I come from a wealthy family.

I've been homeschooled my entire life and transitioning to a private school would naturally be a nightmare, right? Wrong, it was the best thing to ever happen to me.

"Conan, kleine jongen, get down here this instant!"

"Mama! Can't I just stay at home?" I yelled back from my room, hidden underneath the covers.

She burst through the door and dragged me out by the collar of my shirt. Father watched from his seat on the couch as Mom started going over my clothes with a lint roller. She quickly fixed my hair and gave me a small whack on the head.

"You are going whether you like it or not. I'm not letting you act like a child any longer," she told me, pointing at me with the roller.

"Give him a break, Val." He picked up his newspaper from the table and flipped through it. The rustling of the paper pushed my mother further from sanity.

"And you! Do you even care about this family?"

"Of course I do," he said, not looking up. "I care about you and Connor."

"But that's not my name," I corrected him, my voice small.

Mom huffed and shoved me out the door to her car. She plopped down on the seat and gripped the wheels, placing her forehead on the rim. She muttered a few curses in French and turned the keys in the car.

"Conan, just tell me that you'll never be like him."

"I won't be like papa," I mumbled.

She smiled and ruffled my hair. Her eyes held back their tears as she slumped back in the chair. She stepped onto the pedal and started to drive away from the house. I stayed quiet for a few minutes, enjoying the view outside the window.

"Mama?"

"Yes, mon chéri?" She asked, not peeling her eyes from the road. My school started to come into view. The ten minute ride felt like seconds.

"Can we get a new papa?"

The car screeched to a stop and almost flung me forward. Mama stopped, out of breath from the sudden scare.

"Why would you ask that?" She asked, a petrified look spread on her face.

"I don't like the one we have."

At the time, I was still a naïve and innocent child, sheltered from the harsh realities of the world. I never knew the ulterior motive behind keeping me hidden.

"Conan, listen to me."

The bells rang in the background, signaling that we had ten minutes left. I had learned that from my mother days prior.

"If you want to live your own life," she started. "Get away from here as soon as possible. Find someone you love and just get away."

My lips curled into a frown but she responded with a grin. She gave me one last kiss on the head and shoved me out the door.