o n e

o n e

"Daddy!" She screamed giggling, her tiny legs struggling to keep up with mine.

"Daddy please go slower I'm not fast like you you, yet!" I smiled, hearing the pout in her voice and turned on my heel, and she nearly ran straight into my leg.

"You did that by purpose!" She accused, raising her short, chubby finger at me causing me to break into a huge grin.

"Nora-bear, I have no idea what you're talking about." I said, stifling a laugh with a cough.

"Daddy you always tell me that liars are bad, why are you lying to me now?"

That did it, I broke into a huge laugh and scooped her up into my arms, covering her chubby face in kisses.

"Nora Evelyn Payne, I love you, kid."

"I love you too daddy, even though you did a bad thing called lying."

"Alright sassy pants, lets get you home to take a tubby. How was preschool today? Did you learn anything good?" I questioned, continuing down the street towards our little flat.

"Miss Nonnie yelleded at me for saying a naughty word." she whispered, probably hoping I didn't hear her.

I raised my brow at her and continued walking, "and what word was that?"

"She made me promise not to say it ever ever ever again until I'm old like you."

"Nora, tell daddy."

She giggled and covered her mouth, then leaned up into my ear, "I said poopy!"

Then she busted into laughter, squeezing her arms around my neck.

It took everything in me not to laugh along with her. "Nora," I chuckled, "Miss Nonnie was right, don't say that until you're an old man like me."

"I'm gonna turn into a man when I get old?" She gasped, clutching her chest, pure horror etched in her caramel eyes.

"Yes, an old, smelly, grouchy man."

"Oh no."

"Oh yes!"

With that I walked into the door and threw her over my shoulder, heading into the bathroom.

"You stink, kid."

"You stink too, daddy." she giggled as I set her on the floor in front of the bathtub.

"Well, ladies first." I said, beginning to pull off her little pink polka-dotted dress.

"I wanna do it!" She protested, pushing my hands away.

I raised my hands up in surrender and waited until she was finished undressing herself.

She climbed over the edge of the tub and into the lukewarm water, plopping her butt down into the tub.

"Daddy, I learnded how to wash myself up." she said proudly, squeezing shampoo into her hair and swishing it around, totally missing the front of her head.

"I see," I chuckled, pouring her hello kitty soap onto a wet pouff and handing it to her.

She washed herself up and I occasionally poured water from a plastic cup over her head to rinse off the soap.

❯❯❯❯

After the tub and Nora was in fresh, clean pyjamas, I tucked her into bed and kissed her forehead softly.

"Remember Nora-bear, no peeing the bed. If you have to go, get daddy."

She nodded sleepily, eyes closing and lips slightly parted.

"I love you Nora."

"I love you more daddy."

"I love you most."

"I love you mostest."

I chuckled and began to shut the door.

"To the moon and back eleventy hundred times." she yawned.

I shut the door, and strode down the hallway, completely unaware of the world outside shifting, changing, and things would never be the same again.

❯❯❯❯

HI

SO I HAD THIS APOCALYPSE STORY IDEA SO HERES THE FIRST CHAPTER

not sure if I'm gonna continue but I'm pretty happy with how it's going so far

Let me know ?

- S