Chapter Fifty-Two

I stirred from a dreamless sleep, my heart jerking again as it surged with life, and I breathed in the cold air - swallowing it greedily. I lay still, my face buried in the pillows, my body naked beneath a sheet with the softness of a bat nestled against my back greeting me. I frowned at the aches throughout my body - a sweet ache, wondering what the fuck I'd done, until memories rushed me; Lucius and his voracious hunger that refused to leave me alone, his teeth and sex in me, those eyes that took me in with raw possession.

I opened my eyes, spying Lucius back in his chair, dressed neatly, his dark hair swept back into place, a bloodied-tea cooling on the side while his eyes remained closed. I pushed myself up, disturbing the bat that tumbled into the sheets with a cry and shoving my hair from my face as I gazed at the shape of him in the chair. For a moment, I couldn't breathe. A mix of fear was stirring up, wondering if I'd done right in being so selfish with him, putting my wants over the safety of our family, while a rush a disbelief took me and throttling joy. I'd known he'd loved me, or at least I suspected it. I'd always buried myself from it. Always ignored it. Telling myself he couldn't because I was a witch, a woman he'd have no interest in, and he would be too dangerous to have on so many levels. And yet he loved me, and that love was no longer a threat to me.

I wiggled my nose, breathed out, and slipped to my feet, padding lightly to him over the cushy carpet and peering at him. He wasn't there, his mind was probably sweeping the city, but, as I slid my gaze over him, I found myself lost in him - observing the way his chest moved so subtly with every breath, his frame knotted with quiet feline strength, and his scent heavy. I was swallowed by this warmth and pleasure as I took him in, the lazy way he sat, his quiet strength to him, the frost glistening over his fingers, his mouth and lashes. Heat was beginning to coil already in between my legs, wet and sultry and very keen to have those fingers exploring me like he had repeatedly last night, while my teeth were already beginning to hunger him.

I forced myself to pace towards the bathroom and dive into the shower, despite every inch of me wanting to slip onto his lap, nip at his throat and stir him with hot thoughts. I knew he'd be wanting me quickly and wouldn't put up a fight if I helped myself to him. He hadn't finished last night, and the only reason he scooped me against his chest and held me tightly was because the sun was rising and I was drifting off to sleep. But even then, he couldn't stop himself taking sleepy kisses from me, nuzzling at me, and caressing my skin, holding me little more than the love of a man. Lucius was working right now though, likely talking to Tabitha and tracking the witches. He didn't need me stealing his attention.

I scrubbed at my face as I entered the hot shower, trying to ignore the glowing happiness taking me but unable to. My heart was soaring now the fear was peeling away, letting me actually feel his words. Lucius loved me. I knew that and trusted that. He made it clear repeatedly how his addiction wasn't in control by how he fed and had me, yet not once even getting close to harming me. And I found myself very keen for him to feed and, as my teeth reminded me, very keen to have his blood.

I touched my teeth and the sharpened points curiously. As I explored them, I didn't find myself trembling with fear or revulsion anymore. I didn't think of the parasitic witches sent to hunt me down and threaten Lucius. I didn't see myself as them at all. I didn't see myself as vampire per-say either, but more that these teeth were a sign I was Lucius' completely now. These teeth gave him pleasure he loved, that told him when I wanted him or when I was angry, and gave me access to his blood and magic. Without that, I wouldn't be able to care for myself as a Bright witch, smothering my furious hellfire with a cooling blanket of ice.

'A witch.' I murmured to myself and looked at my hands, little a flutter of hellfire spark.

That's what I was. Not vampire, not parasite, but a witch who had access to blood-magic. Lucius Vortigerns' witch. Nothing more and nothing less.