Chapter 2

Long after the vampire king had left, I found myself quite unable to focus. I groaned in annoyance as the sound of his laughter rang through my ears again, a smooth, sweet sound that I seemed to be dwelling on way too much lately. It had been three days since he left and I disregarded my paperwork once more, choosing instead to lean back in my chair and stare up at the ceiling, sighing.

The fact that I was unable to get over his beauty and my wolf, Dominic's, revelation to me being pushed aside, I thought back to his words. I had to admit that he had a valid point. If the war was started by our predecessors, it's up to us to end it, I mean, it's only fair, as a tribute to the countless who lost their lives for the cause. 

However, if this man thought that it was as simple as signing a treaty, he was wrong. Did he stop to think about just how many lives were lost, how many families were robbed of their kin, how many lovers, mates even, were torn apart by the hatred between the two kinds,  how many were oppressed, tortured, and killed under the pretense of 'prisoners of war '? How sure was he that he wasn't biting off more than he could chew?

Sure, most wolves were civil, and so were most vampires. However, it was the chosen few that were causing havoc and pain. It did, however, seem like a good idea for our kinds to 'kiss and makeup', so to speak, before things spiraled more out of control.

I growled in frustration, my hands carding through my hair in an attempt to pull my thoughts together. I decided to speak to Dominic and see what he thinks on the matter, as he can be quite sensible when he wants to be. I unblocked the mind link and spoke.

"Hey. What do you think about this situation? Think it's a good idea to go along with him?"  I paused, waiting for Dominic's response. 

"I think we could give him a chance, firstly, because he's our mate, secondly because I could tell he sincerely believes in what he's saying, thirdly, because you know that what he's saying is true and fourthly, he's our mate." I sighed louder in response. 

"I will agree that I am tired of fighting meaningless wars and strife since I hate it that any of my pack have to put their lives on the line for a petty cause. However, if it will bring more harm than good to my pack, I will not consider it for a single second." He agreed before speaking.

"All the same, it doesn't hurt to hear him out, right?"  I groaned in frustration, hating that he was right.

"True... Alright. I'll consider your words."  He snickered at me.

"You should."  I scoffed in response and with that, proceeded to shut off the link.

I stared up at the mahogany ceiling above my desk, my mind wandering off into a world with cyan-blue eyes and beautiful, sweet laughter.

______________________________________

The next day had its slew of problems, the primary ones being a pending alliance with the Golden Claw Pack, a pack that had been wanting to ally itself with us for a while as we are on good terms, the impending visit from King Storm in three days, some skirmishes with rogues at the border and an intruder that was awaiting tortu- questioning in the dungeons. 

I decided to focus on the prisoner first, figuring that that was the very thing I needed right now to concentrate properly. I headed to the dungeons, which were below the pack house.  I made my way over to the cells for interrogation. I snarled, letting Dominic's aura leak out, for added intimidation, my claws getting longer and fangs extending.

I stopped for a moment, a delicious scent of honey and cinnamon hitting my nose. I recognized this scent, it was Xander's. You had to be kidding me. I sighed. 'You know what? I should have stayed in the damn office.' I thought as Dominic disagreed, seeing as he began to emit a low rumble of delight at the sight of our mate, calmly chained to the ceiling.