25. I Don't Care Anymore

JACKS

I can't believe what I'm seeing. He's here—in my trailer—talking to Skye.

This is my nightmare.

"Well that's a great way to say hello to your father." Jerry scoffs and shakes his head.

Skye looks tense and unsure of what to do.

"I'm sorry, Skye, would you mind giving us some privacy? I need to talk to my dad alone."

"Oh uh, of course," she says, nodding and she stands up.

"We'll talk later, okay?" She walks past me and gives me a soft, concerned look as she leaves the bus.

"So," my dad says with a smirk. "Who's the girl?"

My skin crawls and my fists tighten at my sides.

"No one. Why are you here?"

"That's not-so-subtle code for definitely someone."

"No. It's code for none of your goddamn business." I walk past him and throw my bag down on the couch. "What did you say to her?"

"We just chatted. Why? Is there something you don't want her to know?"

"I just know that everything that comes out of your mouth is suspect."

"You're awfully concerned about this girl who's supposed to be nobody. You sleeping with her?"

"She's the tour photographer, okay?"

"That's not a no."

"No! I'm not sleeping with her!" My voice is tense and increasing in volume. "Why are you here? What do you want?"

"Can't I visit my son? Or did you fire me as your dad too?"

If only I could.

I might have fallen for this years ago, but now I see him for who he really is. I'm nothing to him but a prop, someone he can use to get ahead when he needs it. Everything he does has an ulterior motive.

He stands up and sighs.

"How 'bout you save the caring father act for someone who might actually buy it. You don't care about me, you care about my money. Now I'll ask one more time before I call security—what. do. you. want?"

"I'm here to see how you're doing. I had no idea you were busy throwing your career away."

"Throwing my career away? Oh really? Because I hired André as my manager and not you?"

"Because you're clearly fucking around with your married photographer. Or did you think I wouldn't notice?"

"She's not married," I snap. I can't help but cringe slightly at the idea of Skye actually marrying that guy, but I do my best to conceal it.

"She's engaged—don't pretend you didn't notice the ring on her finger. To the press, it'll be the same thing. I can see the headlines already: 'Jackson Ford—Homewrecker.'"

He's not wrong. But the press is something I can deal with. What I can't deal with is not having Skye in my life.

"Why don't you let my manager worry about headlines."

His expression turns cold and his eyes darken. It's as if someone has flipped a switch and revealed the real man beneath the facade.

"You better watch yourself, Jackson," he says, stepping closer to me until he's within two feet of me. I know he uses my full name just to piss me off. I've always hated sharing a name with him, but it's worse now with all our history.