chapter three: content

"i don't want to be your friend,

i just want to be your lover."

When I came back from the shoot, I saw Y/N sitting down comfortably on the couch – eating a sandwich quietly, so quietly that I could barely hear her munching. Or maybe I was just by the door, that's probably why I can't hear her much. She has a towel on her lap to catch the crumbs from the bread, and knowing how foolish I was; I smiled like a kid.

"Hey," I said, so she can turn her head toward me. So then, I could look her in the eyes. So then– "That looks tasty, do you still have a slice?"

She looked shocked and was to pounce herself back up, but then I reassured her, saying: "No it's fine Y/N. I promise, please continue eating." she slowly munches – rather cutely – and smiled at me, responding to my question if there was still any slice left.

"Yes, it's just there." I looked and saw a plate of another slice of sandwich at the corner and gladly took it, smelling it first. Then I complimented, "Cute. Is this peanut butter and jelly?"

She nods. "Yep."

"How did you manage to get the ingredients?"

"I went to the grocery store silly," she tells me, chuckling lightly while taking another bite. I sat down beside her and hoisted up my leg, pressing it against my chest. "Then I saw plastic utensils on the table, so I managed to make them perfectly well like I always do."

I know it was just two ingredients, but my god it was good. She practically watched me eat in two minutes despite how hungry I was. Famished. Just like my desire for something that is rather unexplainable. She added: "Is it good?"

I nodded frantically. "The best I've ever tasted."

Y/N makes a questionable look, as if not believing what came out of my lips that were covered in peanut butter; slightly. She shakes her head and finishes her last bite and responds, "You are lying, aren't you?"

"If you want to get to know me, you must know that I never lie."

She gave me a smile but this time, it felt different. Maybe it was just me feeling that way considering how I haven't felt this way with anyone for a long time, so it's probably nothing. But it could be something, a spark of intimacy that I haven't explored. My, I was married twice. Why would I feel that way? Oh, it's probably just a crush that I'm developing, Y/N is fairly an attractive woman – that I can confess.

Although it was never the way she looked, it was the comfort that she brings. Or maybe, I was desperate.

"You look like the type of person that never lies," she compliments, I could feel my heart swirling with pride. "Thank you for that then, Scarlett."

It's how she says my name that felt so foreign. It's how she says it with her lips-smacking beautifully well. She says it is genuine; especially how it rolls out of her tongue. I gulped, feeling a form of sweat on both of my temples as I stared down at her. I can't seem to get my eyes away, she was beautiful. Beautiful woman with a solemn heart.

"You're welcome."

We fell into this comfortable silence, not knowing who we should talk to first. But once I was done with my slice, I asked: "What does it feel like being your age?"

There was a long pause, taking in what I've asked. Did I ask her something too intimidating? Was I being forward? I hoped not, I hoped I didn't make her uncomfortable. But instead, she answered with a tired bubbly tone.

"It's fun, actually. You get to hang out with your friends without your parents' permission and live on your own. But since they aren't looking after me that much, I have to work–which isn't a problem, by the way. I love working, I think it's the only time that makes me forget school. Anyway, being twenty-five isn't so bad. I guess you also have responsibilities. Sorry, I'm the eldest."