291 It Made No Sense

The man continued to watch Hua Lin Yu and slowly, a hint of pity entered his eyes. "you really didn't know."

Hua Lin Yu shook his head and gave the mirror back with some hesitation, not sure what to do with himself now. "What does it mean to be a fallen god?" He had no idea who this man was but clearly, he knew something about these things. In fact ... "Actually, who are you?"

The man smiled faintly. "Oh, I'm sorry. It was rude of me to not introduce myself. My name is An Rong. This ... could be considered to be my realm."

Hua Lin Yu blinked his eyes in surprise. "An Rong? Is in ... the An Rong from the Hei Dian Sect?"

An Rong raised his brows, now surprised himself. "I see you've heard of me. That would be precisely the person I am. I take it you are of the Hei Dian Sect then?" He glanced at Hua Lin Yu's robe, still feeling unsure.

He had never seen this person before whether it was in the sect that he had created with the people who left alongside him or the Hei Dian Sect from before. As for his robe, he also couldn't say where it came from.

It was odd. He was pretty sure that if a trueborn or fallen god had entered either of these sects, he would have found out about it. But then, a fallen god who didn't know that he was one or even that he had been a trueborn god in the first place ... well, there were so many parts strange in this that he had no idea what to make of the whole situation either.

An Rong furrowed his brows and then motioned behind the beguiling night tree. "Actually, my place is over there. Would you like to come in?"

Hua Lin Yu had no idea what to make of this but he finally nodded. Anyway, An Rong seemed to have some answers to the questions that were currently going through his mind and he really needed those. Right now, he couldn't care less about Xiao Li and whatever had happened in his youth, he just wanted to know what was going on with that mark between his brows and what he had to do with whatever fallen gods. This just wasn't normal!

An Rong gave a hum and then led the way, past the beguiling night tree and to the palace that was standing at the end of the chasm in the dark. "Please don't mind that it looks a bit eerie. I ... well, if you're from the Hei Dian Sect, you probably know what I'm doing here."

Hua Lin Yu glanced at him and finally felt that he probably didn't need to hold anything back. "I'm not, actually, I'm from the Jian Yi Sect. But I did go to the Hei Dian Sect previously to find out about something.

"You see, we went to the Demonic Ancestor's Poisonous Herb Garden and I found a strange rune at the bottom of the lake that seemed to come from the demonic sects. In the end, we figured it would be easiest to ask the Grandmaster of the Hei Dian Sect about it. We didn't dare to enter this realm before but we did find the mirrored side and explored a bit."

An Rong looked at him and then couldn't help but laugh. "So that was you. I was actually told that somebody found the array. It surprised me. You see, I'm quite good with formations. I wouldn't have thought that somebody would be able to spot it but if it was a fallen god, it's really not that strange."

Hua Lin Yu looked at him, not sure what he was going on about. "Why that?" From what he knew, between the gods, dragons, and demons, none of them should have any kind of innate ability when it came to formations. While they did have spiritual energy, formations still needed to be learned. It was an art, one that needed many years to perfect. So he had no idea how fallen gods should be any different if they were some kind of ... broken trueborn gods.

An Rong smiled at him, feeling that this youth was a bit cute. "You really don't know anything about this, do you?"

Hua Lin Yu pursed his lips, not sure how to answer that. Well, he pretty clearly didn't know anything about this. That was why he was asking, wasn't it? "So what's the answer?"

An Rong entered the building and let him in, wondering how to phrase it best. "Well, if you know about transmission stones, can I take it that you know at least a bit about the immortal races?"

Hua Lin Yu nodded at that. "I do. Although ... I admittedly know most about the dragons."

An Rong stared at him in a daze. "You are really full of surprises, little one. If you're a fallen god and may or may not have been a trueborn god before, then how come you know the most about the dragons?" Thinking for a moment, he tilted his head. "Could it be you are some kind of half-blood?"

Actually, that idea made the most sense. This way, he might not have known about the blood that made him be considered a trueborn god but it would still allow his soul to fracture. If that was indeed the case, this whole mess in front of him wasn't too strange any longer.

To An Rong's great surprise, Hua Lin Yu shook his head without hesitation though. "No, I'm not. I'm simply human. But my lover is from the dragon race so he told me a lot about them. In fact, he took me to the dragon realm for a while so I do know a thing or two."

An Rong nodded and suddenly had a good guess of what might be going on. "So that lover of yours ... died?"

Hua Lin Yu stopped in his tracks and stared at An Rong as if he had gone crazy. "Why don't I understand what you're talking about? How does me having a lover of the dragon race imply that this is a thing of the past? How long have you been holed up in this realm that you would make a guess like that?"

An Rong rubbed his forehead and then simply went further inside, refusing to answer that. This had nothing to do with him being holed up in his realm, alright? This was simply about the fact that it would've been an easy explanation for why this child was a fallen god. After all, a trial of love gone wrong could easily lead one to find themselves in such a situation. And if his lover had died, that would've explained a lot.

As for saying that he was a mortal ... Well, fallen gods were usually crazy, weren't they? In that case, it wouldn't be too surprising if this youth had convinced himself that he wasn't actually a god but a mortal, waiting to die one day.