Up and Then Sharply Down

2/2 for tonight! <3

"What happened to 'my life is no one's business?'" Anders asked, seemingly unfazed by the threat.

"Don't underestimate how little I care about my public image, Uncle." Klaus narrowed his eyes at the other man. "I'm not going to repeat myself. Stay away from Anna and Varya. "

Anders studied his nephew, and then suddenly took a wide stride towards Klaus, and lifted his hand. Anya shrank away, her fingers clenching around Klaus' hand. And then Anders gave his nephew a hearty pat on the shoulder, obviously trying not to jolt him too much.

"Well, you see, Niklas, that's exactly what I was hoping to see when I heard you've got a little lady coming to visit you!" Anders burst into boisterous guffaws. "That's what it means to be an adult man, min pojke! Taking responsibility for yourself, getting clean, and taking care of a woman and a child? I say, at long last!"

Anya felt like she was taking part in some surrealist play but they'd forgotten to give her the script.

"Bloody hell, spare me the–" Niklas groaned and looked up at Anya. "What was that lovely Yiddish word you used with Varya the other day?"

"Schmaltz?" Anya asked in a lost voice.

"Exactly! Spare me the schmaltz!" Niklas scoffed at his Uncle.

"And just so we're clear, my dear," Anders turned his attention to Anya now. His eyes were twinkling, and a jolly grin spread on his face. "No one locked your Niklas in this hovel, as he put it. He was offered rooms in the Hall, and there was a job waiting for him. But he chose to hide here and drown himself in alcohol and misery. Which, I see, has changed now - and I'm so, so very happy about it!" Anders clapped his hands gleefully. "So, shall we agree that you will be moving to the Hall now? And the child as well, of course! Varya, right? What a beautiful name!"

Anya's head was starting to spin. Klaus opened his mouth, and she knew the next sharp rebuke was coming - but then he froze with his lips parted, because his Uncle was still talking.

"And do consider the job, would you, Niklas? Who knows the collection better than you, after all? The salary is more than generous." Anders gave his nephew a conspiratorial wink. "Your medical expenses will be taken into consideration, min pojke. Of course they will be! Now that you have someone to motivate you to get better, I'm sure you'll make every effort - and the Bjornsson fund will support you."

Anya saw the exact moment when Klaus realised that he was being bribed. First, rage twisted his face. He looked almost as terrifying as on the first night when she'd met him. And then his gaze cleared out, and he lifted his eyes at Anya.

It was the strangest feeling: she as if could hear him, could see in his eyes what he thought and what he was asking. There was a question in his eyes - and, perhaps, also a plea.

She knew her answer right away. What's the point of denying it now, Anyutka? You'll do anything to help him.

"You should, Klaus," she said to the man and then addressed his Uncle. "Thank you for inviting us, Mr. Bjornsson. We can't leave the farm just yet. I'm taking care of my nephew. But once they find another option for him, we can definitely consider it."

"Oh but of course, my dear! Family comes first! Always!" Anders was back to his previous jolly, robust self. "Oh, would you look at the time! I've imposed on your two for too long, so I'll be going. And, Anna, please call me Anders." 

He grinned, snatched another bun from the plate, and headed to the door.

"Have a good night... Anders," Anya muttered.