- love is a double-edged sword [W.M.]

Rating: T

Pronouns: she/her

Tags/Warnings: swearing (also drinking? it's a party), high school au, friends to lovers, implied internal homophobia, coming out, angst at first but ends with fluff <3

Word Count: 4,424

[This work was cross-posted by myself on my AO3 account, limarieee (under the same title). I do NOT give permission for anyone to repost it, take it without credit, or translate it without credit. If you have questions regarding this rule, ask me. With that being said, enjoy the story.] 

———————————— ᗢ ————————————

Since the age of six, if anyone asked you who your best friend was, you would proudly respond, "Wanda Maximoff"; she would do the same with your name.

But, you're not exactly sure when your feelings for her become less friendly.

Maybe it was one of those times she had gone off on a tangent and explained the latest book she read, saying how much you'd "love it if you just listened to her and read the damn book." You found her passion for stories endearing, perhaps even admirable. Maybe it was Field Day during the seventh grade; the outside air was plagued by blistering heat, but — with her long, brunette hair tied up in a high ponytail — she made sweating look good. Maybe it was the fact that, when you came out to your family last year, she had comforted you afterward; she held your face in her hands, wiped your tears with her two thumbs, and told you any girl would be lucky to have you.

You were sure at this moment that you did not want "any girl," however, because the only girl you wanted was the one sitting in front of you.

You mistakenly let out a scoff. Of course, you would fall victim to the "lesbian falls for the straight best friend" trope. Wanda, on the other hand, thought the scoff was a response to her; thus, she pulled you into a tight hug, trying to convey how deeply she cares for you.

"I'm serious, Y/N," she whispered into your ear. "One day, some girl is going to love you for you."

You didn't reply.

———————————— ᗢ ————————————

It was the second to last day of your junior year in high school. Thankfully, you had finished your exams, but the school required everyone to attend until the last day anyway.

It's not like you could've done much for summer anyways; it has been raining all week, and it's not like you got your license, nor do you even own a car. Additionally, you reasoned there could be far worse places to be in this moment, like home.

As you closed your locker, a mischievous brunette was lingering on the other side.

"Hello, Wanda. What can I do you for on this very fine day?" you said, sarcastically putting emphasis on the "very fine" part of the question.

She chuckled as she shook her head, "Nothing, at least not with that attitude."

"Fine," you gave in quickly, in pursuit of the real reason behind this conversation. "Seriously, though, what has Wanda Maximoff in such a chipper mood during school hours?"

Somehow, your question made her smile grow wider. "You'll never guess what happened this morning," she began. "Vision asked me out."

Now, that caught your attention, "What?"

"Yeah, you know Tony, right? He's that annoying rich kid in our class. Anyways, he's throwing some sort of party for the end of the year and, since he and Vision are essentially best friends, Vision asked me to go to the party with him."