The Carnival

2006

Jean opened the door with a pleasant smile. Nicholas returned the inviting glance and moved to walk inside her house. But Jean moved at the same time, turning and closing the door and locking it as if she hadn't seen him try to come inside. She turned and faced him, just inches from his nose, with an inquiring look in her eyes.

"Don't you want to go in?" he asked.

"Why?" she replied. "Don't you want to go for a walk?"

He turned and looked at the darkened street outside the glass patio.

"There's a carnival across the way in the park. Why do you think I had you come at this hour?"

"I thought your intent was discretion," he responded, nervously adjusting his glasses.

"I thought you might like to see some culture," she replied, walking past him and out the porch door.

They walked along the back streets slowly, the night sky just above the trees glowing steadily with the multicolor lights that danced just beyond. There was a level of energy they could feel they were approaching, the burning coals of hundreds of people carrying on in the distance. As they came closer to the park they could hear the screams and calls of children and teenagers and the grinding noise of rides trampling on the grass of the park. Nicholas told her about his drive and his hotel, keeping the conversation purposely as bland as he could.

"Where do you live in Kansas City?" she asked him.

"Just outside downtown."

"What part?"

He opened his mouth and paused.

"West of midtown."

"That's not an area. Where's that at?"

"I don't think that really matters," he said, stopping to face her. She tilted her head.

"Why not? You know everything about me. I thought I should know something about you. Don't you agree?"

"I'm sure if you want to know my address you can look it up in the phone book."

"I don't think you're the type of person that would have their number in the phone book. You probably don't even have your business listed."

"I don't know. I haven't looked myself up to call my number before."

"Good point," she said, turning and walking towards the park. They had been on back streets, gravel roads that ran beside the train tracks; they now emerged onto the street beside the park where a pond full of frightened ducks reflected in the glimmer of light from the cornucopia of moving machinery that lay in front of it. Nicholas had been wary of her intentions, whether she actually wanted to enter the park, but she continued unabated, walking past the pond and towards The Swinger, a ride with a series of cars along a line that spun in circles in an apparent effort to make each enclosed car a vomitorium. She glanced at it as she walked into the increasing crowd of people.

"So you don't have kids, or a wife I suspect."

"Like I said, this isn't a discussion about my personal life."

"You would like to have kids, I think. But the woman you love rejected you and you're holding out hope."

"Why do you say that?"

"Because I don't know why on earth you would be here with me if you have a significant other."

He laughed slightly at this and continued walking beside her, his arms behind his back and his head tilted down. He made a conscious effort to make eye contact with no one.