Trust

1989

The beating on the door woke Billy from a brief, restless sleep. For a moment he felt caught between two hellish worlds until his brain pulled him bright eyed into the present. He remembered the phone ringing but it was the knocking that startled him. He jumped up from the couch, concerned that his wife was somewhere. He looked at the clock and ran to the door.

The look on the black woman's face startled him. He stepped away from her and closed his eyes half way, thinking this might make him more presentable.

"What?' he said, after failing to find any other words.

"I'm Tamara," she said, stepping back after seeing the full man in front of her.

"Who?" he said forcefully.

"I'm someone that keeps you employed," she said, offended at his tone. Billy's look softened a little.

"How's that?"

"I'm the contact in Kansas City."

"Oh," he said, rubbing his face with both hands. "You're Jean's friend?"

"Not really. What the fuck is wrong with you?" she, scanning his body. Billy looked down at his shirt, strewn with brown streaks that she hoped was mud.

"I'm sick," he replied. "I got to get to work, what?"

"I need to find your people."

"What people?" he asked. Now that he was awake and semi focused he was able to see that she did not look to be in much better shape than he was. Her face drooped and she was agitated, a sharpness to her words as she bit off the ends of them.

"The ones that are here to collect the shipment. Remember them?"

"Yeah."

"Their boss got his money. Do they know that?"

"Probably," Billy said. He was suddenly suspicious, looking around behind him and towards the stairs. "Who's asking?"

"Anyone here?" Tam asked, taking a step inside.

"Maybe. I got to get to work," he repeated, walking back to the laundry room. "How did you find me?"
She could see him down the hallway picking through piles of clothes. She tilted her body to yell at him.

"Dan told me where you lived. He said you'd know where to find the transporters."

"Why do you need to meet these guys?"

"I want to tell them myself," she called.

"Why?"

"Because I want to make sure this is clear."

He walked back, shirtless, his girth flowing over his belt. He had a rather rank smell to him that his clothing had hidden. Tam drew back from the fleshy body of hair in front of her.

"Forget those guys. Worry about where that bitch of yours is," Billy said.

"Excuse me?"

"That bitch, the drunk that's trying to get everyone in trouble. Why don't you find her?"

"You think I'm not worried about her? Don't worry, I have her on my mind. But your people..."

"'My people?'" Billy said, thrusting a dark blue collared shirt on. "I will take care of 'my people'. That woman you're so fond of..."

"Have you talked to them?"