When After Dark Romance Gets Dark

Written by Orchid_27

Hi! I'm E.M., also known as Orchid. I have been writing for six years and have been on Wattpad for five. By day, I work full-time as an architect, designing multi-family buildings from high-rise apartments to row houses. By night, I write erotic romances and steamy medical dramas. My works include The Widower, The Professional Lover, Saving Grace and Need Someone. Sleep? I don't know her.

The intent behind everything I write is to promote open-mindedness, which means I often tackle social issues many find controversial or uncomfortable. I try to do this by making my characters relatable enough to allow the reader to place themselves in a new perspective, paying special attention to their desires, comically cringe-worthy shenanigans, and—here's the twist—their trauma.

Gasp!

In the scope of Romance, understanding the motivations of our main characters is what sets the stage for the "will they, won't they" we love so much. Sometimes, that means your romancing while depantsing handles other types of Mature content. [Please refer to the Wattpad content guidelines for more information on what topics are and are not acceptable.]

Many genres include triggering or controversial topics, but when your Romance gets a bit dark, how do we blend the hard topics with the hard topics?

If you plan to have a little depressy in your sexy, some saddies with your daddies, or a bit of gloom with your boom boom, here are some tips I recommend!

The Who

Something every story should have imperfect characters with depth, motivations, and plenty of flaws. Though we often read to escape our real lives, our imperfections, mistakes, and failures are what make us human! A character with depth should have the same. Odd-looking scar? Love it. Snort when you laugh? Who doesn't? That time you tripped in the lunchroom in front of the whole school? No one remembers that but you. Probably. But are these really what direct our responses to these situations? When it comes to reactionary behaviors, motivations run deeper.

While the term "trauma responses" may seem like a buzzword, human reactions often stem from subconscious places. In other words, no one reacts in a vacuum.

The What

If every story is either a Comedy (an entertaining piece with a happy result) or a Tragedy (serious with a sad result), romance with a capital R should always be the former. We all have been emotionally affected or hurt by something in our lives, but if we are moving toward our happy ending, discussions or depictions of the sad should be within the context of growth and healing.

If the sads need to happen in order to reach a happy, healthy ending, always make sure the lift is much greater (and more frequent) than the fall. Incorporating detailed depictions of trauma or painful events can feel gratuitous and, in some cases, exploitative.

Personally, I have found my stories work best when I start from the climax (not that kind of climax), be it a revealed secret or an event that will likely tear the lovers apart, then write the story all the way through to the end. This is the point of your story—the reason for telling it—and will show you whether it is worth finishing. This portion is where you should be proving to your readers (and yourself) that it does get better.

The When

When it comes to your lovers, describe the pegs that will fill the other's holes. Not like that. Wherever a weakness lies, their partner(s) should provide a strength, and each character should have both.

The relationship at the core of your romance should always be healthy (lead to the growth and betterment of all parties involved) rather than toxic. The foundation of these balancing traits should appear early in your story and be the glue that keeps your cute lil puzzle pieces boning—I mean together.

The Why

When including triggering or emotional content, always answer "why" questions.

Why do I need to include [triggering topic]?

Why does [character's] personality/motivation hinge on [triggering topic]?

Why is it necessary to show [triggering topic] in real time?

Why does [triggering topic] require details or descriptions?

Why put my reader through this [triggering scene]?

But why tho?

If a triggering scene does not progress your plot or add to the underlying message of healing, cut it. There is no reason to include triggering content if there is no greater purpose.

The Takeaway

Ultimately, there are no rules when it comes to writing (except grammar, punctuation, and Oxford commas, fight me). Write what you want to read and let that creativity flow! But, if Romance is your nightly flavor, give your reader enough good times to savor.

Happy writing!