Chapter 11 - The Artist and The Muse

Four Years Later...

As the sun creeps through the blind of my home, I start to wake up and let out a yawn as I stretch. Normally on a day like today I'd head back to sleep for another hour or two, but what's going on today I have better things. Like picking Iori up at the airport for example.

As I get up, I look around the house to make sure the place looks presentable enough. Normally with the economy in the US it'd be a pipedream for somebody my age to rent a house, albeit a small one like mine, but with selling my art that's done well enough after the idea spread that the head of the Minase corporation's head chose to act as my patron, and a small bit of assistance from my dad here and there, I'm scraping by.

As I head outside I realize that I may need to drop by my dad's to borrow his car since my bike won't be able to carry Iori's luggage. I get on and head over to borrow the keys and the car, telling him I'd bring them back that afternoon and headed out to the airport, realizing that Iori's flight should be landing any time now and I may have to deal with a lecture for leaving her waiting when I get there.

As I reached the airport, I saw a familiar brunette I haven't seen in six months waiting in front of the airport. I pulled over, and with a smile said "Hey there, looking for a ride?"

I saw Iori smile as she saw me before she said "I was wondering when you'd get here, I've been waiting for fifteen minutes."

"Sorry, had to grab my dad's car for your luggage." I said

Iori put her luggage in the back seat before taking the passenger seat and after she took her seat, I put my hand on hers and said "I've been looking forward to spending a couple days with you for a while."

Iori smiled and said "Me too, and while I'm here I'll have to show you that I've improved my cooking skills."

"Looking forward to it." I said, lying. It's been something like two years since she last tried cooking for me, and I wouldn't exactly consider what she made as something nontoxic. But I guess that happens when you have a personal chef taking care of your cooking your entire life. Hopefully she'll be better than last time.

"Hey, I'm gonna drop you off at my house so you can take care of your luggage while I return the car, and then there's somewhere I want to take you, alright?" I said

"Alright, what do you have in mind?" Iori asked

"You'll see, but I'll just say I suggest you wear some boots or something." I said, giving her a smile.

—------------------------------------------

As I felt Iori hold onto my bike, I eventually came to a stop at a side road on the edge of the forest right out of town. I took off my helmet and said "Alright, we gotta go by foot from here, but it's not too much of a walk."

"So where you want to go is somewhere in the forest?" Iori asked

"Yeah, it's probably one of my favorite, more secluded areas in the state." I said, realizing that wasn't really that impressive. "Just follow me."

I took hold of Iori's hand and guided through a winding and rarely treaded path until we reached a clearing, a secluded grove with a lake in the center. Due to the way the trees block the light, for the most part it seemed dull.

"This is it?" Iori asked, unimpressed

"Yeah, but admittedly the view at the entrance isn't great." I said, guiding her "But if you stand where the trees open up..."

As I had us stand in the only spot where the sun easily reached through, where we stood seemed so vivid with verdant grass, a clear blue sky, and the crystal clear lake in front of us, clean enough to easily see into.

"Whoa, it's beautiful..." Iori said

"I love the contrast in this area, and while I know that it'll probably be a long while before it's really an option, this place is somewhere I'd love to propose to you at." I said

Iori started to blush bright red and said "Is that so? I-I'm happy to hear you love me that much."

"Of course I do, you've changed me for the better, and to be honest, whenever I think of you I feel so inspired to work on a new painting." I said, taking a hold of her hand "I love you and someday I want to maybe move to Tokyo and live the rest of my life with you."

Her cheeks still flush, she gave me such a sweet smile as she said "I'd love that Y/n."

The two of us leaned towards each other and shared a kiss. The two of us spent a while longer in that secluded grove before we headed back out to the road so I could take us home.

As we rode back, as Iori held onto my back, I heard her start to say into my ear "I love you too Y/n, I really do. And, I've missed you so much since I last saw you."

While she didn't see it, I smiled and swore that I'd make sure to pamper this wonderful girl as much as I can before she heads back.

That evening, as I sat in the living room, Iori was in the kitchen trying to make dinner, and I silently hoped that this time it would be edible. I was able to force it down last time, but it wasn't a pleasant experience later on, and it made me sad to see Iori realize it wasn't good when she tried it.

Soon enough I hear the sound of plates being placed on the table, and I stand up to join her to find what looks like a normal curry there. I took a seat across from her and with a confident smile she said "Well? Take a bite."

After a moment, I took a bite, and after I swallowed, in a more surprised tone than I meant to, I said "It's good!"

"Really?" Iori said, smiling, "That makes asking Yayoi to teach me how to cook so worth it."

"You've improved so much since last time." I said, smiling to her

"I'm so glad to hear that, now how about we eat?" Iori said

—-----------------------------------------

After we ate, the two of us spent the evening cuddled on my couch watching movies together until it got late. This is the first time she's been in the US since I left my dad's house which had a guest room she stayed in.

I let out a yawn and said "Feel free to take my bed, I'll be fine with just the couch."

Iori took hold of my hand, and with a blush said "You know, I'd be fine sharing a bed with you. You don't need to worry about giving my space so much"

"You sure? I mean if you're okay with it I won't complain though" I said

"Yes I'm sure." Iori said before pouting, "Come lay with me."

I got up and followed her into the bedroom, where Iori laid down on the bed, holding her arms out for me as I turned the lights off before joining her, Iori wrapping her arms around me, and as we held each other, Iori slowly fell asleep, and I couldn't help but appreciate the beauty in front of me.