Chapter 30: Energy

Everyone raced ahead as the alliance members led the way. One of them looked at Ako with genuine interest and asked, "You're going to do it then? Build one of your endless electricity machines?"

"It's called a Leymatic energy convertor, but yeah, we're going to build some," Ako answered.

"What's that?" Taiyo chimed in, at least recognizing the word "Leymatic."

"I'll explain it all when we get there, Taiyo, but I think I know a way to stop the Paingitans from going to our islands."

A few minutes later, the sun was just shifting into the afternoon. Ako could hardly believe that it had been such a short time. It already seemed like the longest day of his life. The terrain became familiar as Ako recognized a thicket of trees growing on the side of the mountain, and a stream that was slowly digging a crevice in the earth as it moved to the west. Alliance members appeared almost from air as they started applauding. They all knew the mission that he, Kita, and Melovi had set out on.

But Melovi hadn't made it back, and the realization of his death struck Ako with a sudden sadness. True, Melovi had caused a serious problem, but he'd been one of the main reasons that Ako was able to find Taiyo without getting killed in the process. It was a heavy loss. Despite the happy faces around him, Ako couldn't smile. Besides, the mission wasn't complete.

Their group was ushered down into the Freedom Alliance's new Kiem outpost. Ako was surprised to see that it had seen extensive expansion since he'd been there just over a month ago. There was still only a single, dim light that lit the main room, but it still felt good to be somewhere that was familiar.

From the crowd, Kevick came limping forward with the aid of a cane. His bright blue eyes glowed in the dim light. "Ako, Kita, I'm glad to see you back, and with your fellow islanders as well." He offered a genuine smile and shook each of their hands in turn.

Ako introduced Taiyo and Talino to Kevick. "They don't understand your language as well as I do, but we're ready to work, Kevick. I've got to get energy hooked up as soon as possible. You said there's a connection already in place for Kiem, right?"

"Ah, straight to the point. Good lad." Kevick started hobbling off to a new side room. "We've been preparing for this in the advent that you would be returning to us soon, so we've gathered various supplies, and we've had electrical engineers throughout the various districts ensuring that the old underground powerlines are connected. There's still plenty that could use some attention, and others still that had been severed intentionally by some of the warlords, but all that can be quickly remedied once they see what your technology is able to do."

Ako remembered his conversations about this with Kevick before. His hesitation with providing Kevick with Leymatic energy stemmed from fearing that Kevick could be just like the warlords. They entered the side room that had no door. Inside, the earthen walls had been sealed with cement, and computers were placed in a row on a table. A stash of electronic supplies lay in a pile to one side. Again, a single light was all that lit the room.

There were still a couple things Ako needed to clarify before rushing off. "How will the other nations know about the new source of energy? Will it just be connected to them one-by-one or something?" Ako asked.

"For implementation, we'll be broadcasting to the other nations. Many nearby cities and nations are already connected to the powerlines. The public can have access almost instantly."

"Okay, great. Get me to wherever I can hook it up, and I'm going to need to talk to Yevan," Ako said.

Kevick shook his head in instant agitation. "You don't have any business with that creature, Ako, I assure you."