Chapter 31: Home

"This is it, Talino. We're going home," Taiyo said, patting his associate on the back. Talino had tears streaming down his face.

Ako and Kita stood back a bit, shoulders brushing as they looked out over Kiem. It had been another week since Paingitan joined the alliance, but they'd stayed long enough to build several more convertors.

"I wish you happy years," Nolik said, shaking their hands. He'd been pleased to have the assignment of sending them off. Kevick had still refused to enter Kiem. "I've got to get back to Paingitan. You should know, my son, Andle, is doing well. Gerof found him and the others.

"That's good to hear. You have happy years, too," Ako said, returning the unfamiliar phrase.

Nolik turned and started down the steps with a last wave.

"Ako, Kita. Are you two considering staying, then?" Yevan said from a few steps behind them. "I know my city is wonderful and all, but isn't your island a paradise or something?"

"Yes, it is," Kita said. "I just wanted one last look at how ugly this place is. It'll help me appreciate it when I get home."

Yevan frowned. He was wearing his cream-colored overcoat and black leather gloves and boots, his bald head shining in the sun. "You're not as diplomatic now as you were a week ago." He shrugged. "Thanks for killing Listra, by the way. I was almost ready to do it myself."

Kita said nothing, but turned her head away, and Ako thought he caught a glimpse of a smile at the edge of her lips.

"This might go without saying, but take good care of the Night Raven, Ako. If fuel is rarer on your island than it is here, then just fly her sparingly," Yevan kept rambling about the aircraft's upkeep as the three of them walked towards it.

"I'll do my best to take care of it, Yevan. Hopefully, we can find a way to fly using just electricity, but we'll have to develop a way to convert Leypower into huge batteries or something, but," Ako paused what he was saying and pulled the radio tablet from his pocket, "we'll be in touch anyway. So, you'll have updates."

"Indeed." Yevan stopped and folded his arms at the entrance to the aircraft. He turned to Professor Naliksi, who stood just inside the aircraft. "You're sure you can fly this alright, professor?"

"It's been a little while, but the pilots took me for a test run yesterday. I think we'll be fine," Naliksi wheezed, his eyes twinkling with excitement.

Kita walked straight into the aircraft without saying a parting word. Taiyo and Talino had already boarded.

Ako proffered his hand to Yevan. "Good luck, then."

Yevan shook Ako's hand and gave him a nod, but said nothing else.

Ako's legs were shaking as he boarded the aircraft. Kita and Taiyo had left a seat between the two of them where he sat and strapped himself in.

"Alrighty, let's get this thing in the air," Naliksi said, wheezing as he bustled to the driver's seat.

"You sure you won't miss your own people?" Kita asked Naliksi.

"Maybe, but the opportunity to learn about your Mahinggan technology is too great of an opportunity to pass up," Naliksi said. "Besides, if I get homesick, I can always steal the aircraft and fly back." He gave a wicked grin.

The engine roared to a start and slowly rose into the air. Ako's body was trembling as he clung to his nerves. He was going back. He was really going back to Mahingga, and Taiyo was with him. After the aircraft launched to speed, Kita placed a hand on Ako's arm. She said nothing, but looked at him with her big, green eyes and smiled. His trembling ceased with Kita's comforting gesture.