DAY OF THE DISAPPEARANCE

In four rings, the person on the other line of the call finally answered, "Hello, this is John Wattson from MOMOFER taxi lines, how may I help you?" uttered a strong, energetic, and deep voice. Well immediately recognized that this was indeed the same person that drove him to the place where he bought his new cellphone. Before deciding to let go of the words he had been practicing in mind for a couple of minutes while the phone was ringing, Well picked up his backpack on the floor first and cleared his throat.

"Uhm, I don't know if you can still recognize me just by my voice, but I am the new guy here in New Bill that you drove yesterday, and I just wanted to ask if you are available now? I got your number from the call card you gave me, so I figured why not give it a try. It works, thankfully," Well said. This was by far the longest sentence he ever got to compose ever since his friend Joross disappeared.

"Oh, yes, sir! Of course, I can absolutely remember you. I mean, how can I not? You are just literally the most approachable and the kindest passenger I have ever served in my six years of being a taxi cab driver. Anyway, what is it? Do you want to book an appointment?" the taxi cab driver asked in a gullible manner. It seemed like he was so thrilled to be able to talk to Well again, after almost twenty four hours of not meeting him.

"Uhm, yes. But if you are currently on the booking, then there is no need to entertain my call. I am just wondering if you are available as you know, I am currently here outside of The Mansion Hotel and everyone is busy trying to get to school without being late and so everyone is trying to book taxi cabs as well. The line is absolutely unbelievable and I don't know how else would I be able to get out of this place and make it to the flag ceremony without being late. And then I remember you gave a call card, that is why I am calling you right now and. . ." Well was not able to finish his sentence because apparently, the taxi cab driver had cut him off.

"Sir, no need to worry. I am available at this moment and I am on the way now to The Mansion Hotel. Just tell me where you are exactly and I will be there in less than ten minutes," the taxi cab driver said. This time, his tone had suddenly turned serious and cold.

"Cool, thank you! Don't you worry, I will just double the fare fee so that it will be worth your trouble," Well answered as he lowered his voice because a man suited in tuxedo who looked sketchy as fuck walked past him. "Anyway, I will be ending the call now. I will be waiting for you here on the bench next to the street lamp in front of Mrs. Goodman's Bakery." Well walked a little further to the right until he reached the bench. He sat there, thankful that none of the pending commuters had managed to think of sitting on the same bench while waiting for their taxi to arrive. Well ended the call. He tossed his cell phone back to his backpack and made sure that it was hidden carefully somewhere between his notebooks and his textbooks. He had learned his lesson already, and he told himself that he could not repeat the same mistake ever again– a cellphone was going to be one of his most important things and he can't risk losing his new one again– like the old one that he had.

Well had no choice but to wait for the taxi driver. From time to time, he made his eyes fly back and forth to his watch because he must not let the time slip by. It was already 7:22 in the morning and the flag ceremony was going to be in 7:30. His estimated time of arrival to school if he depart from The Mansion Hotel at 7:25 was going to be exactly 7:30. The fastest drive to the school from the hotel was five minutes and that still would depend on the flow of the traffic by the City Central Highways. So, with that being said, Well' chances of making it before the flag ceremony would begin was absolutely paper thin. However, his hopes were alive and the adrenaline and metamorphine were kicking through his veins right now. He could not see himself being pessimistic because this was a very important day and he thought he needed to start it strong, or else, the following days were going to be as weak as the first.

After three minutes of waiting, the taxi cab driver he booked finally came to fetch him from the hotel and drive him to the school and basically to save him from first hand embarrassment that he will surely going to regret for the rest of his life.

"I am so sorry if I was a little late, sir. The traffic right now is heavy because schools are opening again and everyone is just so busy rushing back and forth. Good thing I knew all the routes and short cuts here in the city so I was able to find myself a shorter way going here," the driver said after he went out of the car to open the door of the shotgun seat for Well.

"No, it is absolutely okay. As a matter of fact, I should be the one thanking you instead because you never hesitated to give me a ride and save me from trouble. I don't know how else would I be able to thank you," Well replied as he went inside of the car and took his seat.

The taxi cab driver also returned to his seat and started the engine of his car. They departed from The Mansion Hotel and the driver tried his best to drive as fast as he can while as careful as he could be, too.

Indeed, the traffic was really heavy. There were big cars and vehicles driving back and forth, brimming the highway and leaving Well with crossed fingers, praying he would make it to the gate of the school in time.

The driver must have noticed that there was something wrong with Well, probably his unsettled gesture, so he tried to catch a conversation with him just to lessen the tension inside the car. "How do you feel? I believe this is your first year in this school, isn't it?" the taxi cab driver asked him, eyes were still focused on the highway in front of them. If you were to look at the rear view mirrors, you would most probably notice a red with accents of black school bus following the car they were in. If Well had to guess it right, it could have belonged to the same school where he was going.

"Uhm, a little nervous. That's all," Well lied. There was more to it than just being nervous. In fact, he had been feeling so many emotions at once that it was hard for him to find out which was dominating which second.

But Well had learned to never say the truth. He sensed that everyone else was lying, and so figured out that if that was the only way to survive the city, he needed to practice doing the same thing, too.