Chapter 1 Hot shot and the real Ms. Leif

Hot shot Flamezer lives in Dallas Texas and is an a child going into the Third grade. He is waiting to find out who is teacher is going to be. There were three teachers for the third grade. There was Mr. Talt he was smart and helpful. The second teacher was Mrs. Monroe she was nice. Then there was Ms. Leif she was a good teacher but sometimes her teaching methods were described as odd by other children. So every kid at school thought Ms. Leif was an oddball. 

"I wonder who we are getting this year," Wedge said.

"I wonder if we are even in the same class." Medix said. 

"Hey here is the sheet with which teacher we are getting," Whirl said. Then took a look. "We are in the oddball Ms. Leif's class." she said.

"Are you sure?" Hot shot asked.

"Yes I am positive take a look," Whirl said.

Hot shot took a look. "You are right it is Ms. Leif," Hot shot said. 

"Yes we are in Ms. Leif's class," Wedge said.

"Yes maybe she isn't as weird as they say she is," Hoist said.

"We can talk to Callie she had her last year," Hannah said who was with them.

"Good idea Hannah," Scorch said.

So they went to Callie. "Is Ms. Leif weird? Does an elephant have trunk?" she said. "She is the kind of person who will say the most ridiculous of things." she said.

They started to whisper and wonder if it is a good idea to have Ms. Leif as a teacher.

Hot shot was at home he hardly touched his dinner. "Is everything alright?" Hightemp his mother asked him as she was finishing getting a drink of water.

"I found out who my teacher for Third grade it and it is Ms. Leif, she is an oddball," Hot shot said.

"Ms. Leif is not an oddball, she doesn't has different way of teaching, every teacher teaches in their own way Hot shot," Hightemp said.

"But everyone at school says she is weird." Hot shot said.

"Yes I know that sweetie, but I know Ms. Leif I am friends with her older sister, she is quite a few years younger than me and she only has been teaching at the school for a couple of years." Hightemp said. "She is just a brand new teacher that's all, because she is only 23 years old," she said. "She is a great teacher and she just started teaching last year so it won't be so bad," she said.

"I sure hope so," Hot shot said.

"She is still getting used to teaching I think. So go easy on her," Hightemp said.

"Okay," Hot shot said.

"You won't know what she is like until you give her a chance," Heatwave his father said.

"Okay I will give her a chance," Hot shot said.

"I am looking forward to Kindergarten," said Side swipe his little brother. 

"We know you are," Hightemp said.

Then came the first day of school and they went into the classroom and there were lots of posters on the walls and there was terrarium with a bearded dragon in it. 

They all found their desks that had their names on it. Hot shot was in the same cluster of desks as his friends. He saw his other friends Scorch, Mach and Glow in the same class who sat in another cluster. Other kids hadn't met were in the class too. Hot shot saw she put his whole first and middle name on the name tag which Hot shot found to be embarrassing.

Then Ms. Leif came in. "Good Morning class, welcome to Third grade, I am Ms. Leif," she said.

"Good morning Ms. Leif," the kids said.  

"Okay class let's start off by telling a few things about ourselves so we get to know each other better," Ms. Leif said. "Who would like to go first?" she asked.

The kids were worried about going first they all guessed she was an oddball.  Hot shot remembered his dad telling him to give Ms. Leif as chance.  "I'll go," Hot shot said.

"Good tell us a bit about yourself," Ms. Leif said. 

"My name is Hotitus Shotimus Flamezer, but everyone who knows me calls me Hot shot, I am 8 years old, my birthday is November 24th, my dad is the firefighter captain at one of the local firehouses and my mom is a nurse at Children's medical Center Dallas. I have a little brother named Side swipe who just started Kindergarten today, I like sports, video games, movies, computer, and my favorite color is yellow and I would like to be called Hot shot by all of you please." Hot shot said.

"Well that is very nice we will refer to you as Hot shot,  after a teacher should call a student by name they are comfortable with." Ms. Leif said. 

That made Hot shot feel better.

"Okay who would like to go next?" Ms. Leif asked.

Wedge seeing how willing Hot shot was when he went first gave him the courage to go. "I will," Wedge said.

"Okay then," Ms. Leif said.

"My name is Wedge Shoveler, I am eight years old, my birthday is September 19th. My dad is a construction worker and my mom is an interior designer. I have three older brother's my oldest brother Heavyload is 17 and going to graduate high school this year, my older brother Gridlock is 15 and just started High school, my older brother Hightower is 12 and just started Middle school. I want to be a construction worker like my father, I like sports, video games, drawing, books, and my favorite color is orange," Wedge said.

"Very good," Ms. Leif said. "Who would like to go next?" she said.

"I will," Whirl said.

"Okay go ahead," Ms. Leif said.

"I am Whirl Windal, I am eight years old and my birthday is September 23rd. My dad works as a police officer, my mom is one of the pilots for the air lift medical helicopters for Children's medical center Dallas. I am an only child. I like flying machines, sports, drawing, writing, painting, video games, flowers and my favorite color is blue," Whirl said.

"Very good," Ms. Leif said. "Who wants to go next?" she asked.

"I will," Hoist said. 

"Good a head don't be shy," Ms. Leif said.

"My name is Hoist Towver I am eight years old my birthday is October 10th. My parents are divorced, my dad works for a big company as designer for products in another part of the state and I live with my mom who works as a reporter. I am an only child. I like inventing things, video games, working with clay, reading, building things with Legos, sports and my favorite color is Teal." Hoist said.

"Very good," Ms. Leif said. "Who wants to go next?" she asked.

"I will," Medix said.

"Okay then," Ms. Leif said.

"My name is Medix Redden I am eight years old my birthday id December 6th. My parents died when I was only 4 years old. My uncle Ratchet and Aunt Red cross took me in. They helped with how difficult it was. My uncle is a doctor at Dallas Children's medical center and my aunt is a nurse at the same hospital. I am an only child. I want to be a doctor when I grow up, I like music, video games especially memory ones, reading, playing with animals, sports, and my favorite color is red." Medix said.

"Thank you for sharing," Ms. Leif said. 

Soon the other kids started sharing. Then they started to learn other things that day. New math problems, new words, new things about the world, new science stuff and they learned a few things about Ms. Leif. She was pretty nice. 

They way she taught was making learning more fun. It was wonderful. Hot shot was feeling Ms. Leif wasn't such a bad teach after all she was pretty interesting.

Hot shot came home the next day.

"How was your first day?" Hightemp asked.

"It was great," Hot shot said. "Ms. Leif is actually very interesting her way of teaching makes learning fun," he said.

"I am glad," Hightemp said.

Now things were a lot more calm. Hot shot knew for sure things would continue to be okay in Ms. Leif's class now that he knew what she was like.