Chapter 12: Astral Ambush

Finn with an annoyed look states to the werehorse. "Please tell me you weren't followed."

The werehorse shakes his head. "I wasn't."

I walk over to the computer screen where it records footage from inconspicuous security cameras and sensors. In view, where a couple of ethereal ghouls who look like monstrous cross of vampiric humanoids with small wings and with faces that look similar to some sort of monkey I read in a book once. I think it was a mandrill. They were trying and failing to phase into the complex armed with ethereal weapons.

"Guys, there's a lot of them outside. How did they even find us?"

The others walk over to see who is on screen.

The werehorse widens his eyes. "Oh shit. No wonder. Bebarlang."

"什么?" (What?) I tend to slip back to Chinese when I am taken by surprise.

"Aswang?" Finn asks.

The werehorse nods, "Aswang ghouls that can astral project from their bodies to hunt down their victims. Some that can cast magic can see through walls. Probably how they found you. What's really odd is how they have ghostly Ak-47s."

Riz can see one of the bebarlang load up his ethereal rifle. Yeah that definitely looks like an AK-47. I didn't know gun manufacturers make ectoplasmic guns.

"Grand. We can worry about that later." Finn sees one of the Bebarlang is casting a spell to penetrate the ward protecting the safehouse. "We need to know if we can damage these projections."

"Blessed weapons will dissipate those forms back into their primary bodies. Ghostly entities can also combat them," the werehorse replies.

I nod while drawing my knife.

"Aye." Finn draws his spear. "This spear was wielded by Lugh Lamfada himself, warrior god-king of Eire and of the pantheon of Tuatha De Danann. No man or creature can stand against it."

"I have no idea what any of those names mean. But I am just gonna assume that it is overkill." The werehorse is correct that it is powerful. With a silver spearhead that looks close to Ancient Celtic in design and a yew shaft decorated with the many battles it has been through, the spear is a weapon that always hits its mark. When I first saw the spear, I was scared to death of it. No pun intended. The spear is something that can cripple the dead with fear, as the god who made it was associated with light. In time, however, I adjusted to its presence, even felt welcome by it, since I have a good relationship with its wielder.

Finn asks, "What about you lad? Weapon of choice?"

The were-horse draws two stick weapons that have glowing inscriptions on them. He takes a combat stance as he looks around for bebarlang. "I can use bladed weapons too. But I always have a soft spot for smacking assholes with these."

The ward finally breaks outside and all the bebarlang aim for the building with their rifles.

Looking at the screen, Finn widens his eyes and calls for us. "Hey, stand by me."

We are quick to stand next to Finn as he slams the non-pointed end of the spear to the ground creating a shield of light just in time for the bebarlang to open fire their ethereal bullets phasing through the building at us. Fortunately, the shield blocks the projectiles that were coming through the walls.

"Ok, didn't expect that."

I smirk that our guest is taken aback by Finn's capabilities. It shows we can impress too. In a couple of seconds, the Bebarlang stopped firing. We see more than a dozen bebarlang storm the safehouse charging at us with ferocity through the walls.

"This is where the fun begins. Let's FECKIN' GO!!!" Finn throws his spear at one of the ghouls and penetrates it through the astral form causing it to dissipate. The spear hits the wall and teleports back into Finn's hand.

The werehorse exclaims, "Damn!"

More bebarlang charge as the werehorse teleports behind some of them and does multiple smacks with his weapons. Some attack with claws and ethereal weapons but he counters the attacks while striking back with teleporting abilities.

I dodge the attacks from the invaders and run up the wall causing some of them to pursue me. I continue to evade the aswang with some trying to shoot at me with ghostly guns. I slide under them and slash them from below causing one or two to dissipate up on the wall.

Finn uses his spear martial skills to counter more attacks from the aswang. His range with the spear manages to keep four of them from coming in close.

Some of the bebarlang attempt to combo their attacks on Finn. Finn barely dodges them and whistles to me. I jump from the wall as Finn uses his spear for me to hold on to as I make a kick that arcs onto multiple aswang.

Some of them are smacked back just as Riz uses the momentum to strike them from behind causing more dissipations.

With the fight going on the bebarlang decreased in number narrowing down to six versus three.

The caster bebarlang uses its abilities to shoot astral energy at Finn. Finn deflects this by spinning his spear. The werehorse and I move to fight the other five. Attacks, counterattacks, parries, blocks continue until we are back to back to each other.

I notice the werehorse is behind me and we take a quick glance at each other as we fight the aswang. I am quick to steal a ghostly gun from one of the foes and shoot one of them multiple times before it dissipates.

The werehorse attempts the same but the gun phases through his hand. Not a ghost, it seems. That takes him by surprise and the bebarlang manages to slice a wound on him. He winces at the wound but he retaliates by slamming both sticks to the sides of Aswang's head, taking him out of the fight.

Finn fights the caster more until he throws the spear up catching the caster by surprise. Finn slides underneath the caster and the spear up on the ceiling teleports in Finn's hands which appears inside the caster destroying his astral form.

Finn then throws the spear where me and the Filipino are fighting the remaining three. The spear penetrates two of them at once leaving only one astral form left. Seeing that us three bested his friends, the last bebarlang looks at us now waiting on his move. He looks at us with fear and drops his rifle.

The aswang dissipates himself leaving us three alone in our wrecked safehouse.

Relieved from victory, we relax our guard as we look at each other.

Finn says, "Not bad, lad. And good work, lass."

The werehorse winces from the wound. "Could have gone better."

I see the gun I stole dissipate from my hand. I see the werehorse wounded and go over to tend to him. "You're hurt."

He laughs, "Just a flesh wound. Ow."

I check the wound over his back. I get a med pack and treat the wound with some rubbing alcohol and bandages, as he transforms back into his human form.

"Okay, tough guy." I look at Finn. "I assume we can't stay here considering those were just projections. They will tell the others."

"And come back in greater numbers."

The Filipino sighs, "As much as I don't care for it, I know where we can go. I just hope Tito doesn't freak out."

Finn and I look at each other a little confused about what he means. Finn adds, "I guess we will be sharing information on our way there, eh, lad?

I finished treating the Filipino's injuries. Nothing too bad. He still needs some healing. "If we are going to your place can we at least start by sharing our names?"

The Filipino looks at me, "Riz."

I say mine, "Fei."

Riz quirks a brow, "Don't tell me it is three letters like mine. Still, a good name to have. It fits you."

I smirk back, "At least, our names will be easy to remember for each other." Despite his cocky attitude earlier, he is a good fighter and he is someone that has our backs. Sometimes, the best communication is in actions instead of words. I wonder how long our alliance lasts.