One Shot

That night you cried, it wasn't tears of sadness, no, you felt deeply insulted, during the travel to Rome you thought you had started to have something with him, and since you arrived he had been nothing but cold with you, barely paying attention to your presence actually; and yesterday he had been nice and courteous to you, you had vaguely hoped he was coming back to his senses... But now he was even denying you his duty as a husband ?!

Were you so repulsive and unworthy of interest ?! Anger rose in your chest. What did you have to do for him to fully trust you !?

You tried to think about ideas, you thought about Lucilla's behavior with him, she was confident, not afraid to speak her mind even to the Emperor...

Yes, that's it ! You had always been afraid of him, submitted, of what he could do to you, he wanted, he needed someone strong by his side, someone ferociously supporting his vision.

How come you never realized it before ? Your mind was made, you will show him how good you were, how you could be a good counselor, and become vital to his reign.
_________

The next morning, you woke up early. He hadn't joined you during the night.

You were decided to frankly speak to him, you found him in his study, surrounded by two scribes, he was signing some manuscripts.

When he heard steps coming, he quickly turned his head, but when he realized it was you, he went back to work like you weren't here.

"Commodus!" you called him with strength as you went to stand in front of his desk "Leave us." You ordered to the scribe present, they bowed and left.

Commodus looked at them leaving, almost scared to be alone with you, he looks embarrassed, he sighs and let down his quill, he is avoiding your gaze, he knows your intention and he doesn't want to talk about it.

"Last night, did you actually have such important task that you could not spend your wedding night with your wife ? Or is it because you didn't want me ?" you let out angrily; at these words, he flinches, passes a trembling hand on his eyes, he has bags under them, he didn't sleep the whole night.

"Y/N please..." he pleads, worn out, your anger instantly faded when you realized he looked much more affected than you thought, you came to kneel at his feet, taking his hand in yours, kissing his knuckles fondly, he had no choice but to look at you now.

"Commodus speak to me!" you begged, you wanted to be there for him "how can I ever help you, how can you ever trust me if you don't stop pushing me out ?" you stressed more softly this time.

Just like last night his emotionless mask starts to break, he looked lost, emotionally conflicted.

"I don't know what came over me...I wanted to make this night work, I promise you Y/N..." he tries to explain "but I can't stop thinking, what if you are just waiting for a moment where I am the most vulnerable to... To murder me and take the power with the Senate!" he adds this time his voice is angry, threatening, he is finally looking at you as if he was trying to see your true intentions with him.
He's already being gained by paranoia, at the beginning of his reign, it can't be good...

"Commodus...remember the discussions we had, did I ever spoke in favor of the Senate ? No. I could have easily sided with your sister and the Senate, but I never did because it's not what I believe in ! All I ever wanted since I met you was... Make you fall in love with me because I believe we could be happy, and because I could bring you so much more than comfort and warmth; a safe space where you don't need to fear for your life or your Empire." You confessed to him, your eyes slightly wet with the emotion, you hoped he was seeing your sincerity.