5) open ༻

after a long night of thinking about max and mike, el decides that today is the day. she's going to break things off with mike. they've been different lately anyway, and she doesn't wanna feel guilty about liking max. eleven stares at her reflection in front of her as she brushes her teeth. mike seems to have something on his mind too, so maybe he also likes someone else. she really, really hopes that max likes her back. although, she doesn't know if liking girls is wrong, she never really sees it happen, but everything about her and max being together feels right. she spits out the toothpaste in her mouth and washes it down the drain.

she walks into the living room and sits next to mike on the couch. "hi." she says
"hey! what's up?"
"we need to talk."
"about?"
"us."
mike shifts on the couch to face her, almost like he was preparing himself for what she's about to say.
"oh, okay."
"we.... should break up."
mike's face doesn't change, "yeah, that sounds like a good idea. is there any reason why you think so?"
eleven's face scrunches up, she doesn't want to have to tell him. right now it's just a crush. she'll look silly if she gets to hawkins and max doesn't feel the same. she takes a deep breath and says, "it's max. i like her."
mike's face lights up, "oh! okay! wow that's- that's cool." he says with a smile. eleven smiles back.

max

putting things in their spots has always been comforting to max, at least before billy passed. it gave her stability in the midst of billy's chaos. he was a wild card, you never knew with him. but the comfort of knowing where things go and knowing they're going to stay there is refreshing to her. right now she's tidying up her room to get ready for el's visit. she's been so antsy about her coming to hawkins, so she figured maybe preparing for it would help. she already got the okay from her mom when it comes to el staying at her house. max plops down on her bed with a notepad and a pen. she was going to write el a letter, but she'll be there tomorrow anyways so it'd be pointless. she starts drawing little random doodles. drawings of lightning bolts, skateboards, eyes, and smiley faces dotted the page. she'd never been great at drawing, but doodling helped to ease her mind a bit.

a/n:: hii!! sorry for the very much past due upload, i think i might go back and rewrite some parts of this story because this definitely isn't my best work, & i want to make it a bit better. im not rly liking this writing style so maybe i'll try things a bit differently on my upcoming steddie story, or maybe a lumax story bc im so attached to max's character lol