Chapter Twenty-Nine - Kook Heaven

Pope, me, and JJ sat in the truck as we watched Kie and her parents argue.

"They're taking it well," I said sarcastically.

JJ then turned to Pope and questioned "How'd you get this rig? I know your old man didn't let you have it"

"I undid the intake valves on the carburettor. Made it start pinging" Pope responded.

"And now you're just gonna take it to your cousin Jeff's house. Just gonna get it fixed" JJ said.

"Crash overnight," we all said in unison.

"I think JJ is rubbing off on you, Pope," I told him "Lying to your dad, stealing his truck. Kinda sounds familiar" I looked over at JJ and he gave me a blank stare and then I looked at Pope, who didn't say anything "All right, that's a sore subject. My bad"

"I'd say we have about 18 hours before he absolutely loses his shit" Pope replied "so as long as we get it back before then, I think we're good"

Kiara came by the truck and Mr Carrera was yelling "Look at your life right now!"

JJ got out to let Kie in and waved at Kie's parents "It's good to see ya'll, Mr and Mrs Carrera"

I waved at them as well "Hey, Anna!" Kie's mum loved me therefore she didn't mind me saying her name instead of her last.

Pope also waved "hi, Uh, Ma'am, sir. I- I promise to have her back at a reasonable hour and safely"

"What are you doing?" Kie muttered to him.

"Kiara, listen to me," Anna said "You wanna go, then you can go but if you don't come back at a proper time, then don't come back at all!"

"She's bluffin'," JJ told Kie as she got into the truck

"JJ," I said, tugging at his shirt so he would get back in.

"Ya'll have a good day," he told Kie's parents and finally got in.

"This shit would be so much easier without parents," Kie said.

-

"My parents are so paranoid of me being a Pogue like it's the worst thing that could ever happen," Kie told us as we sat on the boat.

"Hey, I hear they got good weed at boarding school, though" JJ informed.

"Is that the only thing you care about?" I asked him

He put his arm around me and kissed my head "well except you, yeah, how many times do I have to tell you"

"I'm not going to boarding school," Kie said "They're gonna have to kidnap me, tie me up, and throw me in a van"

"Well, I say..." he took his arm off of me and passed Kie a spliff "...we just crumble some herb right now"

"Hey, Kie, have you tried to hit John B back on that number yet?" Pope questioned.

"Like, twenty million times" she exaggerated.

JJ didn't get that, or he was too high to get it "that's quite a few times"

I laid on his legs as he played with my hair "I was with Kie one of the times she tried and some random lady at a hotel kept answering," I told them.

"Well, until we hear from them again, we gotta try and clear his name" Pope replied "and right now, this letter's our best bet" he held up the letter

"Right, Stay on task, that's why I love ya, Pope" JJ nodded and I shook my head, rolling my eyes.

"What Pope are you gonna be today?" I asked, holding up a spliff for him to grab