Chapter 10: Gryffindor's Match

It looked like the end of Ron and Hermione's friendship. Each was so angry with the other that I couldn't see how they'd ever make up.

Ron was enraged that Hermione had never taken Crookshanks's attempts to eat Scabbers seriously, hadn't bothered to keep a close enough watch on him, and was still trying to pretend that Crookshanks was innocent by suggesting that Ron look for Scabbers under all the boys' beds.

Hermione, meanwhile, maintained fiercely that Ron had no proof that Crookshanks had eaten Scabbers, that the ginger hairs might have been there since Christmas, and that Ron had been prejudiced against her cat ever since Crookshanks had landed on Ron's head in the Magical Menagerie.

Personally, I was sure that Crookshanks had eaten Scabbers, and when I tried to point out to Hermione that the evidence all pointed that way, she lost her temper with me too.

"Okay, side with Ron, I knew you would!" she said shrilly. "First the Firebolt, now Scabbers, everything's my fault, isn't it! Just leave me alone, (Y/n), I've got a lot of work to do! And give me back my rune translator." She said snatching it from my hands.

Ron had taken the loss of his rat very hard indeed.

"Come on, Ron, you were always saying how boring Scabbers was," said Fred bracingly.

"And he's been off-color for ages, he was wasting away. It was probably better for him to snuff it quickly — one swallow — he probably didn't feel a thing."

"Fred!" said Ginny indignantly.

"He's not wrong." I told Ginny

"All he did was eat and sleep, Ron, you said it yourself," said George.

"He bit Goyle for us once!" Ron said miserably. "Remember?"

"Yeah, that's true," said Harry.

"His finest hour," said Fred, unable to keep a straight face. "Let the scar on Goyle's finger stand as a lasting tribute to his memory. Oh, come on, Ron, get yourself down to Hogsmeade and buy a new rat, what's the point of moaning?"

"Or we could steal an owl for you." I suggested.

In a last ditch effort to cheer up Ron, Harry invited him to watch Gryffindor's final practice before their match. As I was on the Slytherin team I wasn't allow to watch, as much as Wood didn't mind me he took quidditch practices seriously.

So instead I ended up spending a lovely evening talking with Luna. We discuss all sorts of things, Crumple-Horned Snorkacks, Quidditch, Nargles, our childhoods, everything we could think about.

"Hey Luna." I asked her after our laughter had died down. I'd just been telling her how Fred, George, and I had switched Percy's wand for a stick when we were younger and convinced him he'd lost his magic.

"Hmm?" She asked turning towards me, her large silvery eyes to. I hadn't realized how pretty they were.

"Do you want to come over during the summer? I know you live nearby."

She smiled at this. "I'd like that." She told me.

...

Ron's POV:

I walked down to the pitch along with Harry, still upset about Scabbers death, but at least he said I could ride his Firebolt after practice.

I wished Harry good luck and headed over to the stands to watch. Madame Hooch joined me a few minutes later, she was still overseeing the Gryffindor practices, and we got to chatting about the Firebolt and how it compared to the Nimbus series.