Chapter 6

We spent the whole week going back and forth between each other's houses. When ever Chance came to my house, and mom was home, she would wiggle her eyebrows at me when he wasn't looking. Ugh. Mom thought I still liked him. Well, technically I did....Oh, whatever..

Today, it was another typical autumn Friday in Colorado, and this time, I was at Chance's house. After we worked on our project for an hour, he went downstairs to get some drinks. I got up from his nice-smelling bed and looked around. He had an iPhone on his desk, and pens scattered all over the place. I poked my head into his closet and looked at the rows and rows of clothes and shoes. I noticed a familiar red shirt on the floor, on top of a pile of clothes.

I picked it up, and immediately recognized it as my Rebel shirt... Wait, why was it in Chance's closet? I turned around right when Chance walked in with two lemonades.

"Hey, do you like lemon--" he stopped and looked at the shirt in my hand.

"What's my shirt doing in your closet?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

This time, he turned red. Aww, he was so cute when he was embarrassed! I shook the thought away and showed him the shirt again. "So?"

"I--umm--that's not--your shirt?" he said, scratching the back of his neck, embarrassed.

"Come on, I know it's mine. It even smells like me! When did you even take this?" I said, thinking back to the times he had been to my house. I had never seen him go through my things... Anyway I threw it back to him.

"Whatever. If you wanted my shirt so bad that you stole it, you can keep it. Wait, you didn't take any of my underwear, did you?" I asked, putting my hands on my hips.

He turned a darker shade of red, and started stuttering. Damn! I had never seen him get so nervous before! Where was the arrogant Chance that I knew?

"N-No! Of course not!" he said.

"Hey, chill, I was just kidding! You look like a tomato!" I said, and began to giggle. He scowled and turned around, heading towards his closet. He went in and closed the door behind him, and I sat back down on the floor. I heard him shuffling around in his closet--going through his clothes, I suppose?

I suddenly realized that I was really tired. My eyes drooped, and I eventually drifted off to sleep. In the middle of my slumber, a door opened, and someone sighed. They bent down and picked me up. I assumed it was my brother coming to pick me up from Chance's house, so I snuggled into his chest. Then I went back to sleep.

                                                                                 *     *     *

When I woke up, I felt something beside me. I turned around, expecting my cat, Libby, but my eyes opened wide in horror. Chance. was. in. my. bed! Then, I realized I wasn't even in my room. I was in Chance's bed. In his house. I spent the night at Chance's house. I checked to make sure I still had my clothes on, and sighed in relief. But then I noticed that Chance's arm was flung around my waist. And that arm was connected to his shirtless chest.

I slowly reached around his arm, and pulled down the covers--to expose his boxers. I squealed, but that caused Chance to inhale deeply in his sleep and pull me closer to him. His hot breath went down the back of my neck, and I shuddered happily. But then I realized how wrong this was. I had slept--as in sleeping--with the guy of my dreams, but he had no idea how much I liked him, so he didn't know what it meant to me. I put my hand on his face and pushed him away from me.

But, he still didn't wake up. He actually began sleep talking, and what he said next made my heart skip a beat.

"Z-zoey...I want to be with you...You're different and.....really.....beautiful," he mumbled, and my eyes opened wide. WHAT!?