Chapter 12

"So, I heard that your birthday is on Tuesday," Chance commented as he drove us back from the amusement park to my house.

"Um, you heard that from who, exactly?" I asked, confused. I had never mentioned anything about my birthday to Chance, and probably the only person who knew my birthday was Ethan. "Was it Ethan?"

"I have my ways..." Chance said mysteriously, and I pinched his arm. He jumped in his seat, surprised, and he punched my arm in return.

Let me tell you, getting punched by a football player hurt.

I sat rubbing my arm and groaning while Chance sat with his eyes on the road, with a smile tugging at his lips.

"If you want me to fall in love with you, you shouldn't do that..." I warned, and he glanced at me out of the corner of his eye.

"Who said that I wanted you to fall in love with me?" he asked. I stared at him incredulously.

"Have you forgotten our bet already?" I asked.

"What bet?" he asked, faking confusion.

He was just playing with me. Typical behavior of him...

I rolled my eyes and turned in my seat to look out of my window. Up ahead, I saw a scrawny, lost puppy wandering the sidewalks. I touched the glass of the window as we passed him, and I could see the hunger in his eyes; his poor condition truly pulled at my heart. I never was much of a dog-lover or anything--but suddenly, I really wanted a dog.

"I wish I could have a puppy," I said to myself, sighing wistfully.

"Don't you already have a dog?" Chance asked, and I turned to him, narrowing my eyes.

"I have a cat, Chance. A cat. How many times have you been over to my house again?" I asked.

"Not enough, I guess..." he muttered. I chuckled and turned back to the window.

"My mom probably wouldn't want to get me one anyway," I said quietly, "And Derek definitely wouldn't get me a dog. Last year, he gave me tampons for my birthday and said 'Go crazy'. Freaking tampons!"

Chance laughed at the last part of my rant, and I looked at him. He was smiling. Actually, genuinely smiling. His brown eyes lit up when he laughed, and I couldn't help but melt on the inside. He looked so cute when he grinned, but it was too bad that smiling was a rare occurrence for Chance. He mainly wore his trademark smirk. He noticed me staring, and he immediately pulled his smirk. I turned away, blushing. Damn, it didn't last long enough.

"Are you done checking me out?" he asked, and I scoffed. I pushed the blush away from my cheeks and turned to face him.

"I wasn't checking you out!" I protested lamely.

"Then what were you doing?" he asked, putting his car into park. I looked outside the window, and sure enough, we had arrived at my house. When I turned back to face him, he had already unbuckled and was practically inches from my face.

"Wh-what are you d-doing?" I stammered, and he chuckled so that I could feel his hot breath brush my lips. I tugged at the ends of my hair nervously with one hand, and he suddenly captured it in one swift motion. His other hand reached up and grabbed my chin, softly tracing my lips with his thumb. Then, his gaze dropped to my lips.

My heart began to beat out of my chest, and I let out a shaky breath, meeting his intense gaze. He began to lean in, closing the space between us quickly. I closed my eyes, and lost myself in his soft lips. My hands, as if they had a mind of their own, reached up and tangled themselves into his blonde hair. He put his hand, that had been holding my hand, onto my lower back, pulling me closer to him.