The BSAA Arrives

A service elevator and a stairwell were on the wall several feet down the hall.  Not trusting the speed of the elevator, and definitely not wanting to risk getting trapped in a box with one of those beasts, Tyler took his chances on the stairs. He threw the door open and took them two at a time, ignoring his legs' protest as he climbed. If the fire exit was locked, then the others probably were as well. Unless the orchestrators were on the roof, which he doubted, getting up there might be his safest option. He continued his ascent until a door before him burst open and a flood of people spilled into the stairwell. The many wounds among them marked them for death. Tyler stumbled backward, nearly falling down the stairs. A BOW ducked under the doorway and sized up the crowd. Tyler hesitated to move for a brief second, taking note that the creature appeared to be focusing on those who hadn't been wounded.

It's breeding.

Tyler scurried back down the steps. The elevator would have to suffice. As he ran, a resounding thud shook the stairs behind him. He peered over his shoulder to see that he was being pursued. He focused on running only to see that two more BOWs were coming up the stairs. With no other recourse, he jumped over the side, bracing for impact with the floor below. He landed in a shoulder roll and fell in a ball against the wall at the ground floor. Shaking off the pain, he stumbled to his feet, ran back to the hallway and hit the call button, hopeful that the elevator car was on the ground level and vacant.

The doors slid open and Tyler was met with the sight of a recent corpse. A horizontal wound gaped across his chest. Taking a deep breath, Tyler dragged the corpse out and hopped back into the car, striking the rooftop button just as the stairwell door busted open. He backed against the wall, aiming his gun between the open doors and willed them to close faster. He knew the futility of this gesture though. Peering up at the emergency hatch, he quickly made a running jump. He kicked off of the wall and simultaneously threw a fist at the hatch, busting it open. Repeating the run, he climbed up, pulling himself into the elevator shaft just as the creatures arrived. He lay there and held his breath, hoping he had gotten cover before they had spotted him. The doors closed and the elevator began to ascend at a crawling pace.

Tyler rolled onto his stomach and crawled toward the hatch. After taking a breath, he slowly peered over the edge. One of the creatures, a newborn, had stepped onto the elevator before it closed and moved. Tyler ducked back into cover as every cuss word sizzled in his mind. Standing, he took a look at the thick cables that supported the car. If he shot them out, he could lose the creature and climb to the roof level using the adjacent ladder. He stealthily stepped to the edge of the car.  Realizing he would have to time this just right to avoid a nasty fall, he took aim and fired several shots just as the creature's tentacled hands began to emerge from the hatch.

The cables snapped and Tyler launched himself toward the ladder as the car dropped. The BOW screamed in enraged disappointment as the car dropped, smashing into the ground below. Tyler turned his attention back to the ladder and made a hasty ascent.

The doors at the roof level would need prying open. Tyler tucked the glock in his waistband, walked along the railing and dug his fingers into the sliding door. He yanked with all his might, sweat trickling down his forehead. The doors started to give away and he was able to create a small enough gap to throw himself through.

The light of day was almost blinding after being in the dimly-lit elevator shaft. He threw himself out of the shaft and fell upon the roof.

"Freeze!"an authoritative male voice bellowed from nearby.

Tyler looked up and held his hands above his head. "Don't shoot! I'm Tyler Branson, with the BSAA," he spoke calmly as his eyes adjusted to the sunlight. "I'm going for my badge," he spoke in a slow, measured voice.