Eddie

Chrissy could use some quiet time alone after visiting Vecna's house. There were more theories exchanged as the teens reconned after at Nancy Wheeler's house.

That basement was getting a lot of use.

It didn't take a genius to see that Chrissy was stretched thin and needed a break. Eddie always seemed to be able to tell something was bothering her, even when she didn't say anything.

There a lull in conversation, indecision about what to do next, when Karen Wheeler once again called down from above.

"Chrissy? Your mom is on the phone, honey."

Chrissy's blood ran cold, but she stood and walked up the stairs. She didn't want to take the phone down here where anyone could hear. Eddie watched her leave. Nancy caught him watching her until she was completely out of sight. He felt eyes on him and looked around. Nancy raised her eyebrows a little and tilted her head toward the stairs, a silent nudge.

Eddie got to his feet. He couldn't exactly slip away, unfortunately.

"Where're you going?" Dustin asked, always the inquisitor.

He thought briefly about lying but there was really no point to it. "To check on Chrissy," he said, making his way up the stairs.

Robin and Nancy exchanged knowing looks.

Chrissy was quietly curled up against the wall, the long phone wire pulled around the corner. Karen was scrubbing the kitchen sink. She turned when she heard his footsteps.

"Hey, hon, you need something?" she asked, pausing her work.

He shook his head. "Nah, I'm good. Thanks."

She nodded and returned to the sink. He crept through to the living room, trying not to come off like he was a) a creep or b) listening in on Chrissy's conversation.

"Okay," she was saying forcibly. "I know, I'm not blind, Mom. I—" A long pause. "I'll be there." She pulled the phone away and realized she wasn't near the cradle.

Eddie was though, just at the corner. He took a step back and pushed the hook down, ending the call.

Chrissy whirled around as the line cut out. She looked momentarily startled before she relaxed at the sight of him. "Thank you," she said, walking closer. She set the phone back down.

"Trouble?" he asked.

"My mom is...she wants me to come home tonight. I guess there's a town meeting to talk about what's going on and she's freaking out."

"Right." He tilted back onto his heels and shoved his hands into his pockets. "Do you wanna get out of here?"

"Wh-what?"

"You look like you could use a break," he said with a slight shrug. "I've got one of Henderson's walkies. If they need something, they can call us."

"Oh." Chrissy thought about it. She knew that there wasn't some random killer on the loose. She was in danger no matter where she went, so what difference did it make how she spent her day?

"I mean," he started to backtrack, "if you wanted. You could stay here with the Brady Bunch if you really feel like it."

"No," Chrissy said with a little laugh. "No. Um...getting out of here sounds nice."

"Cool."

"Right um." Chrissy darted around him and down the stairs to the basement to get her jacket and backpack. She tugged Nancy and Robin aside as much as was possible in the crowded room. "Is it okay if I leave for a while?"