Michelle My Bell

Our lives are like a candle in the wind. As life blows obstacles in our way, we do our best to stay aflame, to survive, and to grow stronger. In my life I have had my share of pain, hardships, failures and grief. The situations I have experienced have taught me to overcome obstacles and to grow into the person I am today, and lead me to person I hope to be in the future.

I am Michelle Mugo, born on the fourth of April in 1993, at Saint Joseph’s Hospital in Nashua, New Hampshire. My name may be common, but I am beyond question a unique individual. I am the type of crazy, goofy natured girl that people grow to love. I am the pleasant stranger that will say hi as we pass in the halls and try mybest to brighten your day. In my nineteen years I have learned three important lessons.  First, I learned the importance of family and good influences. Second, I learned the value of establishing goals. Third, I learned to be an independent and confident person.

There always havebeen two women who have remained by my side. Each woman influenced me to be the person I am today, whether it was from intentional lessons, traditions, or by example. These two woman are my Mother and Nana. Over the years the three of usexperienced many hardships. Throughout the course of four years my mother suffered four strokes that often left her hospitalized and unable to care for my sibling and me. Hard times called for strength, a characteristic Nanawell represented. All other matters were put aside as her new responsibility to care for us took over. I can still remember the smell of the sterile floors, the endless hallways, the many turns, the nurses chatting , running from room to room, and so many of them, and the beeping of all the various machines during my visits to the hospital to see my mother. This seemed all so strange and foreign for a little girl, but as look bad I learned some of the most important lessons. I learned when and what it was like to be brave and strong. I learned the true meaning of family and the importance of being there for others.

My life revolves around goals. Goals have always helped to keep me focused and help me accomplish the many tasks needed in order to get where I need to be.  I am my own worst enemy, and my biggest competition.I must always challenge myself to do better, because who else will? My experiences at the hospital have influenced my educational goals. The nurses and physicians who helped my mother have inspired me to become a registered nurse. I strive to be the best for not only myself, but my family. My father is immigrant from Embu, Kenya. He came here with the dream to establish a life in America. My father is the hardest working man I know. He works long hours to provide for our family. I work hard to be my best, so one day my family does not have to work so hard.

Being independent hasbeen important to me ever since I was young. I felt that my family already had enough stress, I should not add to it. I took care of myself and anything else my family may have needed. I even picked up a part time job sitting for family friends and working at a local youth center to save up extra cash for myself. It always made me feel good to know that I could provide for myself, care for myself, and others. Independence helped me to gain confidence. Knowing that I could do so much, so young only pushed me to do more. The approval of others was never been a worry for me. I enjoyed being myself and was fortunate to have a great group of friends who felt the same. No one could rain on my parade.

Through all the negatives I have experienced in my life I have no choice but to be positive. When everything is at its worst, there is no other way to go than up. I am thankful for the people who have been there throughout my life and the lessons they have taught me. Today I am a strong, independent young lady. I am driven by education and career. I live a busy, eventful life and enjoy every minute of it. People often look at my past and feel sorry, but I don’t. I look at my past and see a journey.  My past has made me who I am today.