Chapter 2: A Glimpse Of Her Past (Part 2)

Nana's POV

At the age of six, I lost both of my parents in a car accident. My relatives rejected me, saying that I'd be a burden to them. And in a difficult situation like this, the Sano family was kind enough to take me in and give me a roof over my head. Mrs. Sano, Grandpa Sano, Shinichiro, Manjiro, and Emma, all welcomed me into their family with open arms. They became my 2nd family, my 2nd home. Even though I was very young back then, I started to come to terms with my parents' deaths and began to cope with the situation I was in. For me, to survive in this cruel world, I needed to become strong, both mentally and emotionally. Instead of mourning over my parents' death, I needed to move on with my life, or else I'd never find happiness like this.

As things started to get a little better for me, another tragedy hit us like a typhoon; Mrs. Sano passed away from an illness after being hospitalized for months, just two years after the death of my parents.

To me, Mrs. Sano was like my second mother and she loved me like her own child. Her death was another shock that I had to cope with along with the Sano family. When Mrs. Sano was still alive, I remember how Manjiro and I used to go visit her in the hospital once a week before going back home after school. There we used to spend hours with her telling her stories of what we did at school or at home and everything. And Manjiro being Manjiro would always share his 'heroic' tales with his mother of how he beat up some random kids at school or at the park, claiming how strong he was. That cocky little shit Manjiro made his mission of asserting his dominance in the whole of Shibuya back then.

"I met this big guy from East Elementary's third grade and I beat him up." Manjiro stated proudly with a huge grin as he and I sat on a chair beside the hospital bed.

"You're so strong, Manjiro. Just like your father." Mrs. Sano responded back with a warm smile.

"But violence is bad. Don't you think so too, Aunty?" I chimed in and Manjiro threw a dirty glare at me.

"That's true though. What Nana-chan said is also right." Mrs. Sano added, agreeing with me.

"You're just saying that because you're weak, Nana-chin!" Manjiro snapped at me.

"No, you're wrong. I'm not weak and I can fight!" I snapped back, huffing and crossing my arms over my chest. "Unlike you, I'm not a violent person and I don't pick fights with random people to assert my dominance! Not to mention you always make them cry!"

"They cry because they're weak. It's their fault that they're weak!" Manjiro tried to reason.

"But children cry easily, don't they?" Mrs. Sano asked with a smile.

"Did Daddy also cry easily?" Manjiro asked.

"I wonder if he ever cried in public though?" Mrs. Sano wondered before her lips curled up into a smile. "That man was hopeless..."

The way she smiled, I knew she was thinking about Mr. Sano at that moment. There were times when Mrs. Sano used to tell us stories about Mr. Sano which clearly indicated how much she still loved him and missed him.

"You love Daddy very much, don't you, Mom?" Manjiro asked, tilting his head to the side.

"You think so?" Mrs. Sano chuckled with a smile.

"Well, then I'll be like Daddy too!" Manjiro stated with a big grin on his face.

But that happiness didn't last long when Mrs. Sano's condition worsened even more. I could still remember the last encounter I had with her. We all went to visit her one last time at the hospital where Manjiro boasted about his victories in fights as usual and stated that weak guys did not cry so he would not cry as well. He also promised to protect her. However, Mrs. Sano told him that, just because he did not cry did not mean that he was strong. She also revealed that he used to be a crybaby when he was younger. To lighten the heavy situation, I even ridiculed him for being a "crybaby" which made Manjiro furious but Mrs. Sano and I simply shrugged him off and laughed away together.