Chapter 4

This week would be fine, as long as Hecate didn't start thinking about the competition. The competition that could possibly change her life for the better if she won. The competition that would allow her to meet her idol in person. The competition that... Well, she failed.

She couldn't do anything without thinking about it.

She couldn't enter the Potions laboratory because as soon as the smell hit her then her mind would betray her. She couldn't enter the kitchens because making food reminded her far too much of mixing Potions. She couldn't enter the library without wanting to pick up a book on covens.

She tried distracting herself by reading or talking with Maria and Ada but her mind would always go back to the topic of Potions. With her favourite hobbies completely out of the ruling, those hobbies being Potions making and reading in the library, she decided flying was the best way to clear her mind.

She placed her gloves on her hands and her hat on her head and with her broom levitating beside her she sat down and took to the sky.

The calming breeze on her face and the wind in her undone hair started to make her feel nice and loose. The feeling soon dissipated as she caught sight of Ada watching her from a bench in the school gardens, she lowered herself down a little and caught sight of a letter in her hands again.

Hecate sighed to herself as an image of the original letter flashed through her mind. So much for clearing her mind of all thoughts, Ada gave her a sympathetic glance before giving the letter to her outstretched hand once she landed safely on her two feet and stood up from her broomstick.

The letter again had the coven symbol imprinted into the wax and again Hecate handed the letter to Ada after slicing through the wax with her nails. Ada nodded before reading aloud again.

"Hecate Hardbroom.

It has come to my attention that I am now free from any meetings tomorrow and the day after as the Great Wizard has decided to spend the next week with his family in Algeria.

This means that I am open for any mirror calls if you wish to discuss the competition, if you would like to mirror call me you will need to call the Great Wizard as I am taking over his calls as he is away.

Please mirror me as I would like to meet you in person. I would love to be able to speak to you before the competition as we will not likely get a moment alone until after the first competition and even then, there are likely to be an ear or two listening.

I hope to see you.

Coven Leader, Sorina Thornbush. "

Hecate looked at Ada's smile with wide eyes and a thin mouth. Ada tried to hide her laugh in the back of her hand as Hecate raised her eyebrows. Ada's laugh betrayed her. "Dear, I do believe you should speak to her. She did seem rather excited at the prospect."

Hecate crossed her arms across her chest "yes, well, it does not matter if she did or did not seem excited." Ada could recognise the tone in Hecate's voice as she had heard it many times before. She placed her hand on Hecate's arm before looking into her eyes with a kind smile. "Would you like me to be with you on the mirror call?"

Hecate sighed her relief and nodded. "Yes, Ada. I would appreciate that." Ada chuckled quietly before offering her arm toward Hecate. "Let's transfer to my office, we can place one of the sofas in front of my mirror so we will both be comfortable instead of you having to stand."

Hecate nodded and Ada took that as permission to transfer the both of them to her office.

As soon as her feet were on solid ground, Hecate used her magic to move one of Ada's sofas in front of the mirror in Ada's office which was used for council calls. Ada nodded at Hecate as a thank you before both women made their way over to the sofa and sat down next to each other.