Beach Bonfire, Baby

Belly and I had been walking down the beach for what seemed like hours when we saw an orange light in the distance. The bonfire. We looked at each other, smiled, and quickened our pace.

Belly wore a pink slip dress that belonged to her best friend from home, Taylor. As for me, I wore a pair of washed denim shorts and a green tank. My favorite daisy choker sat inches above my collarbone.

As we approached the bonfire, the strong smell of alcohol and scorched wood filled the air. A boy who looked the age of 20 approached Belly and I.

"Yo, gas station girl! Here, take my beer." He spoke, walking closer.

"Oh no, really, I'm okay." Belly insisted. She looked over her shoulder.

"So, uh, you got a boyfriend back home?" He pried.

"Uh," She glanced the other way. "Steven!" She called out.

"What are you doing here?" He questioned as he walked towards us. "And I'm sorry, what are you wearing?"

"I invited her, who the fuck are you?" The older boy asked.

"I'm her brother. Yo, she's 15, you pedo."

"I'm- I'm almost 16." Belly started.

"My bad..." the older boy said quietly and wandered off.

"Jesus Christ, Belly, come on." Steven grabbed Belly's arm and pulled her down the beach.

"What are you doing?" She questioned.

"Quit embarrassing yourself, are you kidding me?" He shoved her arm and she fell to the ground.

I ran after her and helped her up. We were standing in front of the fire at this point. Just next to it were two people in the sand, kissing.

The boy broke away and stared up at Belly and I. It was Conrad.

"Madison? Belly?" He was stunned.

Belly took a couple steps closer and squinted. "I thought you hated the Red Sox."

The girl with Conrad looked from him back to us. "Who are you?" She asked, full of confusion.

"Who are you?" Belly responded back.

"Nicole... Conrad and I went to the deb ball together last summer?"

"It was after you guys left to take Steven to look at colleges." Conrad added.

"I thought you said that deb balls are bullshit and all debs are sheep." I said, my tone firm.

"I didn't-" Conrad started. "You're such a brat." His words stung. My heart began to pound and I took a single step backwards.

"Well you're an asshole," Belly pitched in.

"Mads! You came! Belly!" Jeremiah ran towards us with excitement on his face.

"I'm about to take them home." An arm wrapped around Belly's again. "Yeah, we're leaving. Are you kidding me?" An angry Steven said.

"Okay, chill out dude, go hang out with Shayla or something." Jeremiah spoke with a clear calmness and gentleness. The girl with Steven insisted that they go.

"Fine. But stay right here and don't talk to anyone." Steven's words were sharp and firm. He wasn't a force to be reckoned with when he drank.

Belly spun around on her heels and put up both her middle fingers. "Fuck you!" She shouted towards Steven.

"Wow. Listen," Jeremiah started. "For one, I'm really happy you guys are here."

"Jeremiah!" A girl's voice called out. It was a blond girl Belly and I's age from across the beach. With this, Jeremiah dashed back towards her, leaving Belly and I next to Conrad once again. I gave him a glare before we walked away to the other side of the beach.