5. Halloween

"And I think that's about all we have for you right now," Harry addressed the room before him, unable to hide a pride-filled smile as he spoke. "Great work today, everyone. Truly brilliant."

The 20 or so members of Dumbledore's army began to talk excitedly amongst themselves, some of which approached Harry to thank him, patting his back and shaking his hand. Hermione beamed at the sight of the past month's of hard work finally coming together as everyone began to file out of the door.

After Neville announced his discovery of the Room of Requirement, he brought Harry, Hermione, and Ron to ensure it was a safe location for them and that they could access it discreetly. If Umbridge, Filch, or their new 'Inquisitorial Squad' discovered what they were doing, they would certainly face expulsion, or worse.

It was perfect. The room was long and spacious, with fireplaces on either end. It was well lit by lanterns that lined the old stone walls, with glazed glass windows allowing a soft glow from the October sun. The nature of the room also almost guaranteed that nobody outside of the Army could enter it because it required true purpose and good intentions, neither of which Umbridge or her Inquisitorial squad had.

Fred and George posted unambiguously outside the door, surveying the hall, and sending subtle gestures when the coast was clear. Everyone shuffled out the door one by one, splitting off their separate ways, mumbling excitedly to one another about the past three hours.

"You've done a pretty great thing here," Phoebe smiled at Harry as they made their way out.

"Only because of you," he replied, breaking right with Hermione and Ron as she continued straight down the hall.

A weight seemed to have lifted from his shoulders, and while she knew it was likely temporary, seeing even the faintest of smiles on his face gave Phoebe a very welcomed sentiment of hope.

"Evans!" Cedric called out from behind Phoebe. She groaned, turning over her shoulder, but continuing to walk backwards down the hall. "Thanks for the invite."

She responded with a curt wave, knowing he didn't deserve anymore acknowledgement or recognition, then turned back over her shoulder and continued down the hall. Phoebe had set aside her ego enough to mention the meeting to him in the first place, and she didn't want to feel so submissive ever again.

"Sorry, did Pretty Boy just thank you for inviting him?" Fred asked, coming up on Phoebe's right side, George following shortly behind on her left.

She suddenly felt caught in the image of a situation that presented much different than it was, but couldn't form a lie fast enough.

"Yeah," was all she could muster.

"Why?" Fred asked plainly.

"You know... he's smart. And he's like the top of your class," she tried to reason.

"But he's ridiculous!" he raised his voice, much angrier than Phoebe imagined he would be.

"I mean, it makes a bit of sense, Freddie," George spoke up.

"Shut up, George," Fred spat and his brother broke off down a separate corridor, shaking his head.

"Fred, that was unnecessary," Phoebe sighed, stopping in her tracks.

"No. What's unnecessary is bringing him around anymore than he needs to be," Fred stated, then walked away in an uncalled for fit of rage.

Phoebe paused for a moment to allow him to gain ground on her, then followed in his tracks, sighing.

Fred avoided her the rest of the night, sitting between Ron and George at dinner. Phoebe brushed it off as stubbornness and spent the evening in her room with Lena, who had already started working on the two's Halloween costumes.