Chapter 5

Layne's comment that now he thinks our timing is right clenches my heart. I want to wrap my arms around him and ride off into the sunset. I have been waiting for "our time to be right" since we shared our first kiss when we were children. He has been the one who has pushed away and told me to experience others my age, and other bullshit.

And all I can think to say to him is: Fuck you.

"Layne, I told you that I have a boyfriend," I reply slowly and deliberately.

"I know Ana, but he's an asshole. He's probably cheating on you and his band fuckin' sucks," Layne says.

This pisses me off. "How do you know he is cheating on me? Huh? From all your experience fucking girls and doing whatever the fuck you do?"

I know my argument doesn't make sense but I am seeing red.

"No, Ana, I mean he was looking at every chick in that venue tonight but you. And only an idiot wouldn't see you in a crowd," he replies.

This breaks my heart and makes me feel insecure, unattractive, and unwanted. It hurts to think that Layne saw Tom look over me and my pride is bruised. No woman wants the man she had a crush on forever to see her being discarded by another, lesser man.

I open the passenger door and take off for the after party, fuming and heart broken. Tears burn my eyes and the rain pelts my face. Layne quickly catches up to me, grabs my arm and spins me around to face him.

"Ana, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to upset you," He says to me, his eyes pleading.

"You want me now, Layne? Now, when I have a boyfriend, and I am not available for you? You could have had me when I was sixteen; you left me and ignored me when I was seventeen after you fucked me in your car; and now you want me? Now when I am twenty-one and finally have my shit together?" I ask, my voice rising with each statement.

"I know it seems like that but I --," Layne and I are interrupted by Tom and his band walking up the sidewalk.

"Hey, Ana!" Tom greets me excitedly and gives me a passionate kiss on my lips in front of Layne then pulls me to his side. "Hey Layne, glad you could make it dude," Tom says.

Tom is clearly more interested in me now that he sees Layne with me. Funny how that works.

"Sure, dude," Layne replies, his eyes not leaving mine.

"Well, let's party!" Tom calls out to the group.

We enter the bar and I really just want to get as far away from Layne as possible.

"Tom, can we leave? I really need to get away from all this." I watch as Layne sits at the bar and orders a drink. He is waiting for me and I know it.

"Are you joking? You never told me you knew Layne Staley and now you want to leave before I can give him our demo? Ana, if he likes it, he might give it to a record label." Tom says hopefully and looks over my shoulder at Layne who is sitting at the bar. I roll my eyes.

Tom has clearly decided that Layne is his ticket to fame and won't let Layne out of his sight tonight. Tom leaves my side and joins him at the bar. As Tom is talking at Layne, a beautiful woman in a tight dress approaches Layne and presses her breast against his arm suggestively. I watch as Layne leans away from the contact but smiles at her kindly. She hands him a bar napkin and he signs it graciously and hands it back to her. She hugs him then leaves.

Tom watches her as she leaves with a lustful gaze then he says something to Layne. I see Layne turn in his seat to make eye contact with me across the bar. I know this look, his eyes are saying, "this dude sucks." I can't help but smile a little and Layne turns back to face Tom.