Chapter 1

They ordered him to kill her.

Clint Barton had been working as a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent for several years. He always knew what to do, even in a middle of an explosion, fighting with only a bow and an arrow, while hostiles were firing at him. He fought himself out of everything. Shooting this girl should have been a piece of cake. He's not an assassin, but cutting someone's neck happened on a weekly basis.

Working for S.H.I.E.L.D. wasn't an easy job. You could never count on your colleagues, because everyone had their own business. Clint wondered many times before if there was a mission where he cooperated with someone else. The agents never knew about each other's orders. Everyone just finished it, it was completely secret. This was the most important thing: Don't speak about your job, not under any condition.

And now, agent Barton was helpless, in a way that no one could help him. He had been spying his target for days. He had been sitting motionless for hours. His whole body ached after the long, cold days spent with watching the redhead. However, his heart hurt the most. He couldn't, just couldn't tell the reason. Everything, all this drama, all these nightmares because of that girl...

Clint groaned. He couldn't feel his fingers. "Why is this city so cold?", he spoke to himself. He had been sitting on an old attic for a very long time. He had no idea for how much time, but long enough for him to freeze and think.

Since his hands were big enough to hold a bow, he had loved archery. This nearly forgotten passion helped him get through the deepest points of his life. In his free time – which he didn't have very often – he practiced or developed his skills and his equipment. As he said, "something already perfect can be even more perfect, and that becomes godly good".

Suddenly, his phone started buzzing. He answered the call reluctantly.

"Barton, what the hell are you doing?! Target was supposed to be dead by now, yet, she's walking happily on the streets!"

"I am just spying her."

"I don't care! An order is an order! Or did someone make YOU boss?!"

"No."

"Then finish the job! Tonight! Understood?!"