18. Eugene

'Do you need your laptop?' mom asks.

I turn around to look at her. She's sitting on my bed and points at my desk while I was questioning to bring clean clothes or not. Outside, the sun is setting. It covers all my stuff in an orange light.

'No, I don't think so,' I say. 'We both have our phones anyway.'

'Yeah, that's true. What are you doing at the closet?'

'Do you think I need clean clothes?'

'For one day out?'

'You're right.'

I close the closet and walk to the backpack on my desk. It's almost filled to the brim with stuff I don't even know if we're going to use. Things like a notebook and a camera.

I take out the camera and put it on the desk. Our phones have cameras, so why take this one?

'Do you know what we're having for dinner tonight?' I ask.

'I don't know. Mama did groceries today.'

I turn away from the desk and sit down next to mom on the bed. She puts a hand around my shoulders.

'How are you feeling?' she asks.

'Nervous.'

'Why? You drive really well, and Sam is really sweet. At least from what I've seen and heard.'

'I know. But what if they don't like me as much as I like them?'

Mom shrugs.

'I think you'll know that,' she says. 'That's not something you can hide easily.'

'And what if it's the case?'

'They don't hate you. And I don't believe they dislike you either. You know, there's nothing wrong with liking someone more than they like you back. If it's a positive feeling towards each other I don't see the problem.'

'I guess.'

'Also, this is my last piece of wisdom on this topic, some people show less affection than others. But that doesn't mean they don't like you.'

I hum.

'Take a look at me and mama,' she continues. 'Mama shows less affection than I do, she always has. And yet here we are, married with a child. Remember that.'

We sit in silence. Sounds from the kitchen reach my room upstairs. Pans are being put on the stove. I can hear the metal scraping on metal.

'Why don't we go downstairs?' mom says. 'And see what mama is up to?'