Act 1, Scene 4 ˏˋ°•*⁀➷

┌──❀*̥˚───❀*̥˚─┐
Act 1, Scene 4
└───❀*̥˚───❀*̥˚┘

scene: ESPRESSO is working in his laboratory, testing out new combinations of beans and coffee dust. He stands infront of a complicated chemical machine thing.

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

ESPRESSO: (to himself, a hand on his chin and chalk in hand) The bitterness is off. Perhaps a 2:1 ratio works better for arabica and liberica...

[Just then, MADELEINE bursts through his laboratory door LS.]

MADELEINE: Espresso cookie! It is I, Madeleine—

ESPRESSO: Get out. Are you unaware of the notion of knocking?

MADELEINE: Ah! My sincerest apologies.

[MADELEINE leaves, knocks twice, then bursts in in the same fashion as before.]

MADELEINE: Espresso cookie! It is I, Madeleine cookie!

ESPRESSO: ...

ESPRESSO: (to himself) Why do I even bother...

[ESPRESSO turns to face his experiments, back facing MADELEINE.]

ESPRESSO: What do you want? I'm busy.

MADELEINE: What are you working on? It appears complicated.

ESPRESSO: (hesitates) Coffee magic. I wouldn't expect you to understand.

MADELEINE: That I don't, since I don't study coffee magic, haha!

ESPRESSO: ...

MADELEINE: (thinking) Perhaps I could get him to share more about himself if I can get him to talk more!

MADELEINE: Tell me more, it sounds interesting!

ESPRESSO: ...I'd normally find this suspicious, but since it's you, I doubt you have the mental capacity to think up some ulterior motive.

ESPRESSO: Fine. But you better listen closely. I don't have the time nor energy to tell you this twice.

[ESPRESSO proceeds to go through the basis of coffee magic and his thought process, occasionally chalking words down on the blackboard. Meanwhile, MADELEINE listens attentively and silently, admiring how ESPRESSO presents his ideas.]

[Time passes as ESPRESSO loses track of it while reigniting the passion that brought him into this field of research in the first place.]

ESPRESSO: —Which is why a stronger yield is received when you use the grinding method.

ESPRESSO: (glances at the clock) It's already this late? I must have lost track of the time.

MADELEINE: No worries! It was very fascinating learning more about your interests.

ESPRESSO: ...You know, once you keep your ever-open mouth closed, you might actually start to become slightly tolerable.

MADELEINE: Why only slightly tolerable? Am I not extremely magnanimous?

ESPRESSO: Because you have light magic. A simple concept, really.

MADELEINE: Up until now, everything you've explained makes sense, except this. What does my having light magic have anything to do with my tolerability?

ESPRESSO: (looks away) ...You wouldn't get it.

MADELEINE: Then explain it to me!

[ESPRESSO looks into MADELEINE's earnest eyes, lips pursed as if unsure.]

ESPRESSO: (turns around) Isn't it getting rather late for you, knight commander? I think it's about time you leave.

MADELEINE: (crestfallen and more confused than ever)

MADELEINE: ...I shall take my leave then.

[MADELEINE stands up and heads to the door, then pauses.]

MADELEINE: Espresso cookie.

ESPRESSO: ...

MADELEINE: I hope one day we can have a thorough conversation with one another.

[ESPRESSO looks over his shoulder, eyes meeting with MADELEINE's smiling face. Exit MADELEINE LS.]

[ESPRESSO sighs and leans against the table, pinching the bridge of his nose.]

ESPRESSO: How could I explain it to you if I don't even understand it myself.

ESPRESSO: Light magic...

[BLACKOUT. SCENE END.]