After the crash

The world around Efsun was spinning. She had managed to extricate herself from the crashed car and had pulled Emir out of the wreckage with a strength one wouldn't have thought she had in her. But he was injured, he was bleeding, he was unconscious. And Efsun was mentally spinning, forgetting her own battered body. She couldn't tell if she was herself hurt. She only focused on the man in her arms and screamed his name to wake him up.

She did it again... she did it again! She had killed one of her loved ones, because of her bad decisions. She did it again... She was losing Emir, as she had lost her friend before.

People were now crowding around them, trying to help, calling for an ambulance and the police, trying to get the two doctors away from the wreckage. Their pursuers were long gone.  Efsun registered the questions that were asked about her physical condition, about what had happened, deep in her cloudy brain, but she could not react.

What would she do if he died?  What would she do without him? She didn't even have a chance to tell him...

The paramedics were asking her to let go of her hold on him. She knew it was the right thing to do, to allow them to care for him, but she couldn't let go. She just kept rocking him, crying and shaking. She had promised she wouldn't leave him... Remembering that night, in their house, when they had talked all night and tacitly accepted each other into their lives, broke her heart.  If she'd let go, she might never see him alive again.

But she never had the chance to tell him. She never had the chance to tell him that he was the most beautiful human she'd ever met, inside and out. That she was so so glad they had met, despite the many times she had told him otherwise. That he'd created a much-needed mess in her life, that she'd never felt more alive than in the last few months with him, when they were fighting, but also when he would look at her so intently it would make her knees weak...
"Oh God, oh God, oh God, please, please, please, please...Don't take him away from me!"
Everyone she loved was taken away from her sooner or later...

- Emir... she cried again.

Two arms wrapped her, and Efsun felt more than she saw that her father was now with her. She began to sob uncontrollably. Her father had been taken away from her at some point - by depression and alcohol - but he came back. Maybe Emir could too? With renewed hope, she closed her eyes, sat on the floor, holding her love in her arms, and wished with all her heart that he would come back to her... She had never wished for anything more in her life.

- Efsun...

She opened her eyes, releasing a breath she was unaware she had been holding, and blue eyes locked into green ones.