Life's a Gamble

Think of college as a poker game; all of ones poker chips are the student loans one have taken out. Next, all of the possible hands you are dealt are the combination of  classes you are taking. With that, college is a huge gamble, betting your college loans on the classes you choose. Therefore, I feel this “gamble” is worth it; with no risk there is no reward. The reward I feel I get by risking money on college is; I get to play sports for another four years, I will learn life skills in college that will be with me the rest of my life, and hopefully make a profitable salary with a good degree.

            Growing up my whole life I was surrounded by sports. To be honest sports, in particularly hockey, came first for me, school took a back seat to hockey. So if going to school for another four plus years means four more years of hockey, I'm in. Understanding I would be a “STUDENT” athlete, I would learn the responsibility to balance my athletics with my schooling. This, in my eyes, is one of the most important traits someone can have.

            Some more traits I would acquire in college would also be studying skills, organization, and time management skills. In my eyes the trait that makes college worth it is the ability to be organized. Being organized opens up many doors to be successful in college. To be successful in college also means in most cases one will be successful in the real world after college.

            This brings me to my third and final point of why I think college is worth it, and that is what is the best possible job you are willing to cash in on with the cards you were dealt. What I'm trying to say is that in 2008 a national survey was taken and they found that a student with a bachelor’s degree will make 60% more on ones yearly salary supposed to a student right out of high school. To mean this means by going to college and getting a degree you statically proven to get a job, and that pays well. Being a gambler I like these odds.

            So my question to you is how much are you willing to gamble with the cards in your hand? As for my I’m willing to gamble what ever it takes, because I know that the life lessons and traits I will learn as a student-athlete will prepare me for my future and what it has in store.