Chapter one

Ever since he was little, everyone had warned Pete to stay away from the old castle, situated right in the middle of the lush forest. The people of the town didn't dare to go further, and it was not for less. During the last years, there had been mysterious deaths around that place, they said that a very ancient creature lived there, and fed on the souls of the poor travelers who crossed beyond where they should. The bodies were totally dry, without a single drop of blood, being simple skeletons with skin.

The truth is, Pete had fantasized about this place since the first time he heard about it. It seemed, somehow, fascinating, but had never dared to approach. He always saw it from afar, longing to step inside it and prowl it's dark corridors.

Then, on one of the coldest days of winter, it happened.

Pete went out to get a birthday present for Pol, one of his best friends and also his crush. He had never dared to confess his feelings to her, until today.

"It's time you knew how I feel, Pol," He whispered, looking at the silver dice pendant.

They both loved board games, so it was something personal and special between them. Right after giving it to him he intended to propose.

He was in a good mood, so he decided to walk around town for a while. They were all familiar faces, so one in particular caught his eye. It wasn't someone from around there, but his face was still familiar. He was tall and pale as snow, with a mysterious aura. He found him attractive, but he didn't give it any more importance and continued on his way.

He got home and began to wrap the gift with great enthusiasm. He told his grandparents that he would go out and sleep at Pol's house, because the sky had been cloudy all day and there would surely be a storm, and it wasn't a very good idea to go out late at night with such low temperatures.

"Hello everyone!" greeted a cheery Pete when he arrived. He met Yok, who was also her friend, and Ken, who he didn't like very much but had to put up with because he was Pol's friend.

"I'm so glad to see you, Pete!" Yok ran to greet him with a hug, which he returned.

"Hey, Pete," Ken greeted back, in a somewhat terse way.

Ken was too unpleasant for his liking, his way of expressing himself was somewhat offensive, even thinking that he didn't like you. And I felt that he was not entirely sincere, he was hiding things.

"Where's Pol?" he asked enthusiastically.

"He's gone to buy more drinks, he'll be back in a moment."

They were chatting and hanging out. When Pete heard the door open, his heart beat faster than normal.

"Happy birthday Pol! He cried when he saw him and rushed to give him a big hug. "Thanks for coming, Pete!" He gave him a smile, which thrilled Pete. They spent a good afternoon between laughs and a lot of food, they sang happy birthday to him and ate cake, until it was time to give Pol the gifts.

Ken gave him a red sweater, Yok gave him new sneakers because Pol's were falling apart from how old they were, and then it was time for Pete.

"I hope you like it…" He handed him the small wrapped box. Pol opened it carefully, and seeing the gift his face lit up.

"I like it very much, thank you very much!" The first chance he got, Pete approached Pol.

"I have something important to tell you." He played with his hands nervously.

"I have to tell you something, too," Pol replied, making Pete's hope grow.

"Yes? So tell me first, since you're the birthday boy."