It turned out, Ella's nerves and muscles had grown around the plate so her body went into alert mode. It was like removing a part of skin and expecting your body to not want it back. Eventually, her body would get used to it, but it would take longer than they had expected.

"Great." Ella said as her and Natasha got back into the car.

"We'll figure out something for you to do. I may have some missions but I can take some off so you're not all alone."

"No, don't do that, I can keep myself company just fine."

"I mean I'm due for some time off anyways."

"If you say so. But now I really need to look for a job."

"I feel like you'd be a good pet sitter. Although you can't really walk." Natasha said.

"I could work at a register? You don't need to walk much for that."

"But you would be bored."

"But I would make money..."

"Honestly I think you'd be good at a cafe. I'll see if any around here are hiring for you later."

"Thank you." Ella said, leaning her head back. "This kind of feels unreal. Like I was in this miserable place for nine years, and then one day these people show up and tell me that they can get me out and help with my powers. And it already feels normal. I don't like it. Not- Not you- Not everyone- but like I don't like the way I've already gotten used to it. But I also think I got so used to burying my feelings about my family that now I just bury my feelings about everything you know? Like I've known you for like a few days and I'm telling you all of this without a care in the world."

"Would you like me to respond?" Natasha asked, not sure if Ella wanted to say more.

"No- You don't have to, I mean there's not much you could say anyways."

"Ok" Natasha said quietly.

"I'm sorry"

"Why?"

"I just ranted to you. For no reason."

"There was too reason."

"I guess." Ella sighed. "Once I get a job I should find a therapist. My mom worshiped them when I was younger."

Natasha smiled "I've never been too keen on them. Always just talked to my friends about things."

"I never had friends." Ella held back a laugh.

"Oh-" Natasha said, not knowing how to reply.

After a moment of silence, Ella exploded into laughter realizing how pathetic that sounded.

Once they were back at Natasha's apartment, Ella searched the internet for job opportunities, but quickly realized that without any of her legal documents and no highschool diploma, she was pretty much worth nothing.

"Wow." She said, letting out a sigh.

"We'll find something for you." Natasha reassured her.

"No we won't. I can't go back to highschool and get a diploma, and without the diploma, I can't do anything else. And besides, if I ever tried to explain it to people, they wouldn't believe that I was kidnapped and used as a guinea pig. Especially not for nine years."

"Did you used to have a job?"

"Yeah. I worked at this restaurant."

"You may be able to access the money from that. Do you remember your bank account number?"