7

Psycho Gene

Chapter 7: Mistaken

Secret underground organization or whatever Klein was thinking, it wasn’t comparable to what he was seeing now. The exterior of the building is commonly known as a four-star hotel called "Campass". In the clandestine part it became an office of a group that calls itself AQ, or Anti-Q.

Yes, that's the name of this organization, just like Nelson's drug. In addition to referring to Q blood, it can also mean resistance to the Q system.          

Klein was sitting in a self-contained wheelchair adorned with a saline column in an IV bag for nutrients and an oxygen tube attached to a clear nasal belt. He was pushed down glass-separated hallways overlooking an office that was divided into departments.

The man focused on working in a room that looked like a science lab. Inside there were people in lab coats debating, it made him realize that the "Anti Q" didn't just want to bring down the system through a press release or even the use of force, they also wanted to find scientific insights from Nelson. Klein should probably find out in a few minutes what exactly these people were doing.

Linda: “Do you know that these people are Elite scientists?”  Said Linda, who was pushing Klein's wheelchair. “But all of them were rejected. They are prohibited from advancing in their careers because they are Q positive.”

Klein: “Unfortunately...” Klein said quietly, looking at the focused scientist looking into the microscope.

Linda: “Since when did the Q value become one of the main considerations in academic achievement? If two scientists are working on the same topic, one is Q positive and the other is Q negative, and a prestigious journal wants to publish their research, it’s easy to predict who they will choose.”

Klein: “The answer is clear.” Linda laughs.

Linda: “It's not just this industry. HR departments in companies are more likely to hire Q negatives than Q positives and the promotions and chances of reaching higher ranks for Q positives is much less than for Q negative people who generally, regardless of their operating capacity, are always chosen, only for being Q negative.”

The woman paused for a moment. “I think that since we are born as human beings, we have the right to do things that are good for humanity, even though that person is more likely to be a criminal than others, but even if they don’t wish this, I think what happens today is an excuse to create a class system to oppress a group of people so they don't progress and fall victim to endless persecution.”

Klein smiled slightly without commenting until they both approached the large metal door. Linda raised her index finger and touched the blue light on the screen before the door opened revealing a not very large conference room with a long table with a hologram generator sitting in the middle of the table and ten men and women who were already waiting for them.

All eyes were on the young man in a wheelchair known to be the person with the highest Q-value in history. Klein felt the excitement in the eyes of the members of the gathering.

Klein: “I'm sorry I can’t get up to greet
you.”

Klein nodded slightly respectfully. The young man knew that what he had done was wrong because he wasn’t the image that everyone expected since it is unlikely that a fierce ex-prisoner would have a humble, respectful and well-spoken image, because this person has caused the death of many people.

Linda forced Klein's wheelchair to land on the head of the exit-side table. Klein looked at the members of the table; he saw Dr. Christian sitting at the front of the room on the right side, who nodded at Klein as if he was encouraging him.