14 | can exes be friends?

𝐃ad waits by me, letting the umbrella dry on the ground. We both watch as the rain blurs our surroundings.

A drop splashes near my feet and I lean back against the wall. "I am sorry, dad."

"Hmm?" He looks my way, genuinely confused. I lower my head and narrate today's incident. He listens quietly and smiles. "I am glad that you are okay and stood for yourself, Kate."

I grin cheekily and let my eyes wander towards my feet. "I always stand for myself."

"You got that from me."

"Huh?" I chortle. "As much as I remember, it was mom who said the same to me."

"Your mom?" he laughs. "Your mom was the quiet one. At school, everyone used to fear me."

I roll my eyes, smiling. Now I know from whom I got my ego.

⁓⁓⁓⁓⁓

I knock on Shane's door, tapping my foot on the threshold. He opens it with a surprised look. "You?"

"Mom sent you these lamb ribs," I answer, handing him the steel containers. "And some ginger soup for granny."

He nods, thanking me. "Anything else?"

"Oh, are you free tomorrow?"

His eyes narrow and he smirks at my way. "Now, I am interested on knowing what we are talking about."

I snort and glare at him. "I have to get the competition forms. Well, tomorrow is the last date and I totally forgot about it. That's why, I am skipping school and asking if you are free."

"Hmm," he smiles and taps his chin. "Oh, I also forgot to tell you something. My car has been delivered an hour ago. So, I think I will pass this time. I have spend time with it."

My mouth twists in an ugly sneer. "I can't believe you."

"What's taking you so long, Shane?" I hear someone speak and that's when the slim figure of Itzel comes into view.

My eyes squint. "Oh, so someone's busy here."

"Oh, Kate," she frowns at me. "It's nice to see you again."

I smile at her widely. "Well same here."

"So, is that everything?" Shane smirks at me. "Because then we will get back to what we were doing."

I almost gasp at the underlying insult. I look at Itzel shortly before staring back at him. "Yeah, don't forget to eat the dinner I gave you."

He rolls his eyes. "Fine, fine."

As he is about to close the door, I place my foot in. "I need those containers back."

"I will return, don't worry, you go."

"Yes, Kate." Itzel moves closer to Shane. "Shane just lives across the street. He can give these to you anytime. Moreover, we are really busy."

"I am also not a free person," I scoff and cross my arms. "Moreover, I am his bestfriend, he has to obey me."

"Okay, okay, ladies," he chuckles. "It's only a matter of some seconds, I will be right back."

Just as he vanishes behind the doors of the kitchen, Itzel turns to me with a snarl. "I have never seen such a stubborn person before. What the heck do you want?"

I give her a stink eye. "I want nothing, but I am aware of the thing you want."

She smiles at me. "Shane doesn't deserve you, Kate."