The Big Announcement

June 22, 2016

|| The Cedarfeld Home, Bluecreek Housing Development ||

Forrest had made up his mind. He was applying to college and moving out.

-----

I had the stack of printed application packets on my desk, mostly signed and ready to send in. I stayed up, my printer consuming printer paper and ink, then looked through them, filling each empty box and scrawling my signature on each line. I had gotten a scholarship to this college, and my parents knew, but I wasn't sure if they would prefer Florida to Sydney. Most likely they would prefer Florida, but I had never been overseas in my eighteen years of living. It would be great for studies, finding my own apartment near the sea, learning about a new country, taking trips to places I'd never been to before the first term began. I fantasized and pondered that thought. A knock came at my door as I rolled out of my bed and walked over to my desk, taking my smart watch from where it sat, plugged into my Mac desktop.

"Yeah?" The door opened and my light flicked on, the ceiling fan spinning to life.

My mother replied."I just brewed some coffee if you'd like some. I'll be out on the porch with your dad." I turned to face her. Having a porch breakfast was a summer tradition. The scent slowly began to rise over the air and waft into my nostrils.

"Sure. No, yeah. That'd be great." I beamed at her and checked the time, then clipped on my watch. It was 8:15. Later than I usually got up to go on my morning jog. I could take a day off. I could maybe tell them the news of my application over breakfast. The North Carolina summer air was glorious. I took a seat out on the porch, resting my body on the rocking white couch and breathing in the scent of my coffee. My dad and my mom took a seat on a chair, leaving three out of the five empty, each holding a mug that steamed in their hands. The chairs, along with the couch, surrounded a glass table with ceramic coasters. My mom held a mug with a silhouetted print of The Beatles with the letters that read, 'The Beatles' underneath them. My dad's just said simply. 'It's too early for you to say things.' I guess it made sense?

"So um, I-" I paused and held the mug in my lap, rubbing the rim with my thumb. They both looked at me. My mom gave me a worried look and I instantly knew her next words.

"You sound a little anxious. Is everything alright?" She asked, taking a small sip but not taking her eyes off of me.

"Yes. Everything's good, I just thought that since I don't have much of anything to do today, we might be able to spend some time discussing my plans for soon." My parents exchanged glances.

"What's soon?" She asked. I let out a sigh.

"I printed out my college applications last night and I just need to look them over then mail them in." My father set down his coffee on a coaster.

"They're to Sydney University and I looked into getting my passport renewed."

"When- When is it due?" He asked, looking over at my mom who was listening closely and contemplating.

"The second of July, and I looked at apartments too. I found a really nice and affordable one." I grinned, trying to lighten the moment, but they were clearly concerned and worried. Why? I would be fine on my own, and safe, and most of all, happy.

"This is all so great that you're using your scholarship, but wouldn't Florida be a better, closer place? I mean, you wouldn't have to have those extra costs. No passport. No plane ticket. And Sydney, that's so far." I sighed and set down my empty mug.

"Mom, you know I would come visit anytime I could. And it would be a good learning experience for me. Not just in college, but in the environment." I sighed, looking out across the street. It was quiet and so far, no cars had passed during our time out there this morning.

"I'll be fine. Don't you guys worry about me. You know I can take care of myself. You've raised me and it's my time now to live on my own. If only for a year. Then I'll come back for a summer and continue my next year after that."

My mom shook her head. "No. If you leave, you won't be on your own. You can stay with Stefan."

I rotated my gaze from the house across the street to my mom, who looked at my dad and nodded.

"Who's...Stefan?" I asked.

"He's the son of some friends from high school. His father, Nigael moved to America to finish out his high school years, went to college, then moved back to Sydney with his wife Regina a few years later." She said, I was a bit infuriated by this.

"So you're saying you want me to have a babysitter who is hardly older than me just because I'm 18 years old?"

My dad sighed. "He's 23."

"Yeah? Well that's only, what? Five years older than me?" I said, huffing quietly. My mom let out a sigh as well and set down her coffee.

"He's really nice. Pretty laid back and chill too. You'll like him." I could hear by the tone in her voice that she didn't want to give me up. Neither of them did. That made me gulp and sigh, suddenly feeling guilty.

"Could... Could I talk to him then? I mean, I'll have to know what he looks like and how he is to get to know him." I folded my hands together in my lap and rocked the couch gently, kneeling on the soft cushions.

"Sure. I can have you face time with him today." My mom grabbed her mug and took the last sip, setting it back down. The coffee flavor was strong on my tongue and I needed to shower and brush my hair and teeth.

"And he's got a really cute Australian accent. Just don't tell him I said that." My mom covered her mouth and laughed a little, setting down her empty mug.

I shook my head. "Mom, c'mon." I groaned.

"I'm just saying that he's really the type of guy you could easily make friends with. And since he's older, he might be able to help you study. He could take you around town. It would be a fun time to bond." She said, brightening up a bit and attempting optimism. They both only wanted the best for me, and I guess this was what they thought could keep me safe.

"Alright. But I think I can study on my own." I almost couldn't believe that I was going to be walking a foreign campus. I would have to learn the slang. I wondered when the campus tour was going to be. They had a few different days for it.

"Once the application forms are turned in, you'll have all summer to head to Sydney. You want to travel now?" My dad asked, his brow furrowed a bit. I thought for a bit, then nodded. I wanted to get settled in. Mostly, I wanted to get to know Stefan. Since...Since I would be staying with him for a while.

"Okay. Well, I can set up a time that you can talk to him today." I got up and grabbed my mug.

"Sounds good. I'm gonna head inside and get a shower and something to eat." I rubbed one of my eyes and opened the screen door, walking into the kitchen and putting my mug in the sink.

I was moving to Sydney really soon. That made me smile a little.