Fathoms

"Why would you want to deny the inevitable Miles?" She whispers, crouched above a boy lying on the floor gasping for air.

"Because why not?" The boy responds, "Procrastination is just an example of denying it, yet everyone does that. I'm not saying I want to fit in with the crowd. But yeah why deny it, why not just it have quick, straight.... Fast"

The boy glares at her, his blue eyes outlined by the sliver of light allowed in the dark basement.

"Then why are you still alive? We all die, let me end your everlasting suffering." His heart stops, the heavy breathing softens, "I know you've been watching me, so I've been watching you too"

5 weeks before

"Damn dad, this house is huge." Miles says while heaving two suitcases full of their past belongings towards the front door.

"Sure as hell it is, I've worked too damn hard to not be rewarded. And this bloody house is my reward." The father chuckles and helps the boy with the suitcases.

"Dad, this is our house"

"Yeah it is"

Miles' father started off working for his father, Miles' grandfather. Once his grandfather pasted his dad took over their real estate company. Their families' real estate company wasn't able to sell this house, so his father took it for a hefty price. Miles was frightened at first, when his father announced the move. Miles mother died when he was 7. From then on he seemed to have lost his spark. He lived in a nostalgia for the present, yearning for a reason, a reason we all need. So he was scared of moving because ever since then he had trouble making friends, and finally he was in a safe social place. His friends liked him, and were always spending time with him. They had fun. Miles had also met this girl, there had been girls for him in the past but only one as interesting as her. They had this connection, the instant connection most people only get once, and she was showing interest. If miles had moved schools it would have been unsettling for him, and majorly changed his social situation. Which is all a 16 year old boy cares about.

Miles examined the house, two living rooms, 5 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and a basement. He didn't see why this house wouldn't sell, it was beautiful. He walked up to his room and started unpacking. The unpacking took hours, and he went to sleep as early as he could, 3am

He wakes up, it's a Saturday; first day of the weekend. Amazingly, he moment he wakes up he gets a call. "Amberley, hey I just woke up, like literally just woke up" Miles says distraught from fatigue.

"Yeah well, she's here ALONE!" Amberley screams into her phone, excited beyond all doubt.

"Where?" Miles simply responds with

"At the school, she's doing some volunteer work, and she has no one. So get down here fucking fast"

Miles jumps out of bed, this girl has been the temptress of soul for as long as he can remember. They had just started to talk, this was like becoming president for him.

"Oh hey Lilly What a surprise! Oh fuck no, too stalkerish" Miles whispers to himself "Holy shit you're volunteering too?! Ummmmmm... COMPLIMENT HER YEAH!" His multitasking skills at their peak as he gets dressed and ready as he talks himself up, his own wingman.

As Miles approached his school, a fleeting thought caught his attention.

"What if she's into girls...?" He thought out loud. He instantly unthought that and walked faster.

"Amber where is she?" Miles asks as soon as he spots Amberley.

"Calm down, God, anyone would think you're head over heels," Amberley smirks "are you?"