Nineteenth

WARNING: May be mentions of abuse, panic attacks, trauma, blood, etc. If you are sensitive to these topics, please don't read.

Alex POV:

You've got this.

All I need to do is make Dr. Owl confess to helping my ex-foster parents murder my best friends. Easy, right? Right?

"Alex, it's time," Lia said, sitting next to me.

"You think we'll get kidnapped again?" I asked her.

"At least we'll still be together. Plus, I can keep you safer. The first time, I was too scared to do anything."

We laughed as we headed downstairs. Everyone was getting ready. There was tension in the air.

"Micah and Mindy have already gone ahead and entered the buildings next to Dr. Owl's office. The owners of those buildings have kindly agreed to help us," Officer Eel said. "Jane and Bryce, you're with me in my taco truck. While one half of the truck is selling tacos, the other half will be monitoring Lia and Alex as they confront Dr. Owl."

"Why are you letting us help you?" I asked.

Officer Eel looked at me.

"I wouldn't've let you but, judging by what has already happened to you, you'll find a way to get into trouble one way or another. It's better that you guys are safe and have people to back you up than going into this alone."

We nodded and took our positions. The taco truck left first and, 30 minutes later, we followed. Lia was looking at me.

"What?"

"Nothing. You look less scared than when we went to court."

"Things have changed."

Lia took a deep breath.

"Yeah."

The rest of the drive was quiet. Not the scary quiet, the peaceful quiet. We reached and got out of the car. The taco truck was in the parking lot and doing business as usual. From the corners of my eyes, I could see Micah and Mindy giving me thumbs up. I nodded to them discreetly. We entered the building and checked in.

"Alex. My favorite client. Come on in," Dr. Owl said. "Is Lia accompanying you today? You know she's always welcome here."

We followed her into a room. I looked back and saw three police officers outside. They nodded to me. I felt safer. We sat down and Dr. Owl grabbed her clipboard.

"Now, how have you felt? I heard that the young lady that was found dead outside was your friend."

"Yeah, she was. I just . . . hope she's watching over me."

Even though she's helping the trio, I can't help but still like Dr. Owl. 

"Of course she is. You know, I think this is a good time to do some meditation."

I looked at Lia. We've done meditation before. This should be okay.

" . . . Sure."

She brought out some candles and a match. As she lit the candle, I felt dizzy. It wasn't anything in particular. I just started to feel dizzy.

"Now, close your eyes and take deep breaths."

Lia and I did as she said. After some time, I realized that I felt like I was going to pass out. I tried to wake up Lia but Dr. Owl stopped me.

"No . . . bad . . . help."

I struggled to stay awake. I could see Dr. Owl smiling over me.

"Goodnight, Alex."

Bryce POV:

I alerted Officer Eel the moment I noticed that they were passing out.

"We need to get them out of there," he said. "Bush 1. Bush 2. Do you copy? Over."

No response.

"Micah. Mindy. Do you copy? Over."

No response. Officer Eel looked sick.

"Rogue 1. Do you copy? Over."

"Yes, sir. Over."

"Check the whereabouts of Bush 1 and Bush 2. Over."

"Yes, sir. Over and out."

I was worried. I was about to call it quits when I noticed that Alex and Lia were moving.

"Officer Eel," I said, pointing to the screen.

"They're transporting them somewhere. They might have Micah and Mindy."

"We can still hear them. That might be of use to us."

The three of us got out of the car and met up with Rogue 1, 2, and 3. They said that Micah and Mindy are nowhere to be found. We almost gave up when we noticed a truck driving by. Guess who was driving? Mr. I'm-the-world's-worst-stepfather Bass.

"Catch them," Jane and I said at the same time.

We told the driver of the taco truck what was going on and, in about 2 minutes, we were chasing them. We made sure to stay a little behind them in case they were suspicious but we ended up being led back to that house. To throw them off, we drove past them and parked up ahead.

"I've sent Rogue 1, 2, and 3. They'll be here in some time with backup. Now, I'm going to go in and I don't want you guys to follow me. Instead, stay outside and, when help arrives, flag them down and tell them what's going on. Bryce, you're still connected to them, right?"

"I see and hear them. They're still asleep and nobody's around them."

"Good. Jane, I want you on visuals and Bryce on sound. I'll help your friends."

With that, Officer Eel picked the front door lock and entered the house.