Keep Her Safe

Amelia liked the sound of the words 'my Angel'. She liked adding the possessive pronoun, so that her thoughts sounded something like ' my Angel is an idiot.' Or ' my Angel is trying out a new wardrobe' or ' my Angel is standing right next to me and looking at me like I'm crazy and shaking his head'

Most of the time, these weren't even gross exaggerations. Javi, her angel, WAS an idiot, he WAS trying out new wardrobe options— grid knows why— and Javi WAS standing right next to her while she 'painted', shaking his head, and looking at her like she were crazy.

Not to mention he was wearing a black with golden leaf printed Hawaiian beach shirt and a pair of cream colored shorts that reached about his knees. His wings neatly folded behind his back as they stood in her rented apartment, and stared at the canvas.

"I think it looks pretty" Amelia shook her head, staring at her creation.

Javi shook his head, "it's, it's okay, I mean if you tilt your head a little bit..." he tried to make her feel better, "and close your one eye? Maybe... and then close your other eye" he was doing the actions, and then nodded, satisfied, "yeah I think it looks good"

She stared at him in disbelief, "you closed both your eyes. You're not even lookin at it!"

"Listen, Amelia, it's absolutely lovely that you're trying out new hobbies, and all that. But please, please don't tell me you actually think that's... that that's worth anything" he said, in a small voice, he was always so supportive of her, in all her shenanigans, even when she'd told him that she wanted to take up painting as a hobby and possibly as something to give her some financial backing— even when he hadn't expected her to be this awful at it.

Because after eight hours of work, nine out of which Javi had spent hovering about her canvas, they'd ended up with nothing but pink blotches of paint on it, with weird squiggly black lines and one singular EYE, if it could be called that, it was just a white teardrop with a black circle in between, and the hellish amount of detailing that went inside the eyeball making it look such that even Javi, positive and encouraging as he usually was, couldn't find anything nice to say about it.

"It's modern art!" She defended her 'masterpiece', "and hey it's not that bad! You're starting to sound like Ollie"

"Oh BELIEVE ME, I'm sounding nothing like Ollie, just wait and see his reaction—" as if on cue, the bell rang, and he grinned at her.

"You knew he was coming didn't you?" She accused, wincing, and reaching for the door, as Javi wondered if he should disapparate, but one pleading look from her told her he better stick around, and quickly dissipated his wings, which burst into violet sparkles, and he landed up on the couch, feigning nonchalance.

Amelia opened the door to find the Hawaiian man standing in front of her in a blue hoodie, and a magazine in his hand.

"Paranormal investigator magazine?" He said incredulously, thrusting it into her hand, "let me guess, you're into ghosts?" He made a face, causing Amelia to wince.

"And how exactly does that concern you?"

"Ghosts don't exist" he said, but before he could berate her further, he realised they had a spectator, and he eyed the man sitting on Amelia's couch, with a broad smile on his face, intently watching their interaction.

"You have a guy over?" His interest seemed piqued, "hi, I'm Ollie—"

Amelia's expression was a mixture of confusion and shock as she watched Ollie pushing past her and making his way towards Javi, without as much as consideration that he was walking into someone else's apartment.