Chapter Seven

Jinx's excitement was almost bubbling over as she and Lux walked down the undercity market streets, on their way to Brelten's shop. Each of them was carrying a shopping bag with their dress in it, since Lux had recommended taking them so Cassie could see what they'd be wearing that night. It might help Cassie figure out how to do their hair to make sure it went well with their outfits.

Several of the Champions had greeted her as she walked past them, and she'd waved at them with big smiles. Many of the citizens shopping in the markets also recognized her, and by and large everyone was happy to see her, though there were still some people who did their best to ignore her.

"That was rude," Lux commented at one middle-aged man who'd cursed on seeing Jinx, then had demonstratively walked in a different direction to avoid her.

"Yeah..." Jinx said softly. While a part of her was a little insulted—after all, who'd done more for these ingrates—she also understood why some people felt this way about her. The Night of Terror had been a direct response to her attack on the Council, after all, and many Zaunite families had lost loved ones in it. It made sense that some people held her responsible. Just typical Jinx again, always killing family members, either directly or indirectly.

"If they did that after your first attack on the Council, what do you think they will do if you go through with your current plan?" Nicest voice asked. It was the quiet one. She was actually surprised it was talking to her.

"If I were to do it, it wouldn't matter. The only reason they were able to strike back was because I didn't wipe all of them out last time. I won't make that mistake twice. There won't be an Enforcer left to do anything!" she whispered firmly, making sure Lux didn't hear. Nicest voice's silence somehow was more of a telling answer than if it'd told her again what a monster she was. That tended to be its thing.

Meanwhile, Lux was gawking all around her, impressed by all the sights, sounds and even the scents of Zaun. The neon lights, the smokey fog wafting through the streets, the toxic smells of the mines, the throng of people, the overall gloominess—things Jinx had long since taken for granted but were all new for someone who lived in the fairytale kingdom of Demacia, with its imposing castles and quaint little villages. Jinx resisted the mischievous urge to start calling Blondie a princess.

Arriving at Brelten's shop, Jinx opened the door and walked in, smiling as she saw Cassie standing behind the counter.

"Jinx, me darlin'! How lovely t'is to see ye!" Cassie beamed. She quickly came over and wrapped Jinx in a huge hug, and Jinx couldn't help but grin widely as she clung to her.

"Hi, Cassie! I want you to meet someone! This is Lux. I've told you about her, she's the woman I fell in love with in Demacia," Jinx said excitedly, pointing at Lux once Cassie had let her go.

"Oh, what a wonderful surprise! Hello, Lux, welcome to me establishment!" Cassie beamed, then she walked over and gave Lux a huge hug as well. Lux was startled for a second, then she started smiling as she returned it.

"Hello, Cassie. Jinx has told me a lot about you. I've been looking forward to meeting you," Lux said, with that ever-present killer charm of hers.

"An' she's sweet too!" Cassie laughed. "Gods, if the two of ye aren't a perfect picture together!"

Jinx and Lux grinned at one another. "I told you she was awesome," Jinx whispered.

"You were right!" Lux giggled.

Cassie seemed to get a little nervous, and she took a few steps closer to Jinx. "Sweetheart, is... there somethin' going on with ye and Martin? Yer girl is gorgeous, but..." she whispered.